another engine conversion question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2014, 07:44 PM
pistol77
pete
1987 Defender 110

another engine conversion question

So a week or so ago I was ready to get rid of the 1987 defender I purchased but it has really grown on me. I had a great local mechanic clean it up and now I can count on it to get me from point A to point B.
I have spent quite a bit of time reading about all these engine conversions and I am trying to find someone in central VA who can do this. Any advice?
Leaning on the 2.8 litre BMW 6 cyclinder from a 328 but could be convinced to go an alternative route.
Any imput?
thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
What do you have in there now?
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol77 View Post
So a week or so ago I was ready to get rid of the 1987 defender I purchased but it has really grown on me. I had a great local mechanic clean it up and now I can count on it to get me from point A to point B.
I have spent quite a bit of time reading about all these engine conversions and I am trying to find someone in central VA who can do this. Any advice?
Leaning on the 2.8 litre BMW 6 cyclinder from a 328 but could be convinced to go an alternative route.
Any imput?
thanks guys
I'm in central Virginia and do defender engine conversions amongst other things but not interested in undertaking the bmw conversion.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:11 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol77 View Post
So a week or so ago I was ready to get rid of the 1987 defender I purchased but it has really grown on me. I had a great local mechanic clean it up and now I can count on it to get me from point A to point B. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about all these engine conversions and I am trying to find someone in central VA who can do this. Any advice? Leaning on the 2.8 litre BMW 6 cyclinder from a 328 but could be convinced to go an alternative route. Any imput? thanks guys
I wouldn't bother with the 2.8. Wrong engine for a truck. Go with the one the recent build thread (chips I think) is using. 3.0 if I recall.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:59 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

It's easy to invision an engine swap. It's really easy for the person that has never done one or desires for another to perform that conversion. Changing out a LR engine for another LR engine can present it's own challenges what with motor mounts and electrics. Swapping in an entirely different driveline such as a BMW engine will require a GREAT deal more work. Most of these projects never reach fruition. If you are able to accomplish this work yourself you are still in for a long arduous and expensive experiment...especially if you don't have all of the tools and machinery to produce bits yourself. If you plan on hiring someone else to do this then be ready to spend a great deal of money with little expectation of actual completion and years, yes years, to a finished product. I can personally speak from experience in this matter as a fabricator, not customer.
All that said, if you want another engine, assuming you have a 4 cyl petrol or na diesel, then go with a LR platform, either turbo diesel or V8.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:51 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Agreed for the most part... But the 3.0 chip is using is very similar in setup to the 2.8 which is a defender production engine. Uses the auto transmission natively and there is a stock mounts and bell housing available.

Now having said that, it is by no means a direct drop in as they were originally right hand drive. I do believe that they were conceptualized as a Nas motor had they continued importation.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:28 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a running, driving, '93 BMW 325I with 99k that might make an awesome engine donor.

A 1993 model is OBD I and does not have DSC which is why it would seem more logical as a donor than a 95+ model.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:18 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I have a running, driving, '93 BMW 325I with 99k that might make an awesome engine donor. A 1993 model is OBD I and does not have DSC which is why it would seem more logical as a donor than a 95+ model.
Lol... Those 325 aren't any better than the 2.8... The ones that came out of the x5 or x3 are the ticket... Screw gm... Get some real engineering in there... It would be the only thing actually engineered in the whole rig.... I'm still convinced that the suspensions only work as good as they do by fluke!

God I love my d90!!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:50 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
What Mark said. Plus, plan to keep it forever cz nobody will buy it with a oddball engine.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:17 AM
M.A.R.S.
Drew
R.R. classic

if you are going to go with a BMW engine go for the m70. I think someone put one in a range rover classic a number of years ago. the m70 used a zf 4hp24 in the 750. This transmission was also used in a d2.

I am not really suggesting this as it would be a nightmare to get wired up, but I think it would be cool to see a v12 in a defender.

what engine do you have now?

if you want to go with a rover v8 I am an hour west of Richmond and can handle that swap.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:31 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
What Mark said. Plus, plan to keep it forever cz nobody will buy it with a oddball engine.
X2; hard to capitalize on a one off swap. Also, before you dump $10k into an engine look at the body and frame ect. What you are describing is exactly what led me to a full rebuild...
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:59 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
What is your budget?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:05 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Is that yours? I have a rolled '95 that Ive been hanging onto for a 'someday' project. I might put it in my 95 D1.

Attachment 99222

-Jeff
Yes its mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Lol... Those 325 aren't any better than the 2.8... The ones that came out of the x5 or x3 are the ticket... Screw gm... Get some real engineering in there... It would be the only thing actually engineered in the whole rig.... I'm still convinced that the suspensions only work as good as they do by fluke!

God I love my d90!!
Say what
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:57 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Say what
What part wasn't clear? Lol
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:10 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I'm guessing the bit where you said..screw gm... My guess is you meant screw MG.. As in the naysayer ezzzzzz...mark g...???
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:13 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
No... I meant gm... Don't get me wrong... I would take one of the gm conversions and I may eventually but I would much rather have a BMW engine... No comparison.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:20 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Ohhhh, my bad.. I've got a range rover with a chev 350 in it... It sounds pretty freaking awesome at idle... Responds quick enough to Make the whole truck rock at idle when you rev it... A 400 hp chev engine with a 6 speed auto trans behind it would be pretty sweeeet.. And a water pump in stock locally anywhere for $35 is hard to beat also..
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:24 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Ohhhh, my bad.. I've got a range rover with a chev 350 in it... It sounds pretty freaking awesome at idle... Responds quick enough to Make the whole truck rock at idle when you rev it... A 400 hp chev engine with a 6 speed auto trans behind it would be pretty sweeeet.. And a water pump in stock locally anywhere for $35 is hard to beat also..
If I go domestic, I go gm... Best of them IMHO. But I've had a hardon for beemers for years... Sold my 135i convertible right before I bought my 90... Also had 8 of their bikes over the years...
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:50 AM
pistol77
pete
1987 Defender 110

4.2 litre v8

I think I have decided on doing the conversion to a 4.2 litre V8 Land rover engine. Waiting on my mechanic to track down all the parts. I will update when we are ready to start
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Why go through all that trouble for a 4.2? Unless it is super cheap/free, you should do a 4.6l.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, engine