Another electrical issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2016, 03:17 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Another electrical issue

Trucks been running great. Today during lunch I changed out a headlight and taillight that had burned out. On the way home my instrument gauges died. The gauges and blinkers (which are connected through the same fuse) will only work with the headlight switch on and the brake pedal depressed. I'm thinking a short or grounding issue. I tried removing the taillight that I replaced. That didn't work. Checked the fuse, that didn't work. The voltage measured ok across the fuse. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2016, 03:19 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Make sure the instruments have a good ground, but do not run a separate wire from the battery.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 10th, 2016, 03:34 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Make sure the instruments have a good ground, but do not run a separate wire from the battery.
Yeah, will have a look in the morning once it's light again. I did have a look in the engine compartment and noticed what appears to a grounding strap hooked only to the chassis and to nothing else. Looks to be broken. I am assuming that might be it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical