Another clutch thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Another clutch thread

I will go ahead and apologize for starting another clutch thread, however I couldn't really find all the symptoms I'm suffering in any of the threads that have shown up in the search.

It all started this morning leaving SAE and coming through the mountains. It seemed like I needed to press the clutch in a little more than previously. Figured it probably got a little warm shifting through the mountains and didn't think much of it. This continued at this rate until I made a stop for a couple hours. Ran a quick errand and it seemed about the same. Hit the interstate several hours later and the pedal needed to be pressed much much further down than before (3/4 of the way to the floor). I had to exit to fill up and I had almost no clutch at this point. Maybe 1/2" of movement to the floor. I believe I only shifted once or twice after getting up to speed on the highway. When I stopped I added some fluid only to find the master cylinder was almost completely full (an empty one being a symptom in many other threads I've searched). I was able to get a very small amount of clutch and get back on the road, and luckily, get home.

I have not had a chance to bleed it yet, but am wondering what cause of this was (I'm guessing this will give me problems down the road) even if bleeding does fix the situation. I also looked for leaks and there were none on the interior underneath the clutch pedal (where I've read a MC leak often ends up) or any underneath. I am pretty clueless about the workings of a manual trans so I just wanted to get everyone's imput on what the issue could be. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2012, 12:39 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Weird, seeing as no one else volunteered i will give my thoughts.

I ran out of clutch fluid the other week, i couldn't tell amongst the other leaks that it was leaking, so i never thought to check, and blah blah i ran out of fluid and was clutch less shifting for about 20 miles.

Mine ended up being a clutch line, but yours sounds like something is clogged in the line or there is air that got in the lines, or you need a new slave or master cylinder, if i were you i would bleed it, and if that doesn't work, go from there, then see if the line is clogged, then change the MC and slave and clutch lines, if that doesn't work i have no idea.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:06 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Master cylinders don't have to leak externally to go bad. Sounds like a hydraulic problem to me. You can try to change just the slave cylinder but if it were me I would change both the MC and SC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Thanks for the suggestions. I got a vacuum bleeder yesterday to just bleed it and see how that worked but it started raining buckets right after I got home from work. Hopefully the rain will let up today and I can figure something out. If bleeding it several times yields nothing, I'll replace the MC and slave cylinder.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch