Another "Check Engine" issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
cwadswor
Christopher Wadsworth

Another "Check Engine" issue

My 94 D90 has been running smooth for sometime now. Yesterday, I was cruising along on the interstate when--for the first time ever--I ran out of gas. I cut the engine, started it one more time to be sure I was empty, then cut it again. I put in two gallons with a portable container and was on my way. One minute later the check engine light came on. I filled the tank at the next gas station and the light is still on. Anyone have a similar experience? Advice? She still runs smooth/strong as ever.

I wish my fuel light worked as well as the Check Engine light.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, I have a touch of bad news for you, the fuel light will NEVER work unless you wire it up. As far as I know, it was never connected on ANY of the trucks shipped to the US.

That being said, we now need to get the trouble code that is causing the 'check engine' light so we can diagnose it and get you on your way. Under your passenger side dashboard (hopefully you don't have A/C, that makes things harder) is a small brown box marked "Land Rover Diagnostic Display". It's about the size of a cigarette pack, and just to the left of the main ECU.

That box is semi-transparent. With the ignition switch on and in dim lighting you should be able to read a 2 digit code through the side of the box from the red LED's inside. Once you get that number you can either check the FAQ section for what it means, or check back with us here and we can point you where to look next.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
cwadswor
Christopher Wadsworth

I've got AC

Hans, Thanks for your reply. I've got an AC. Do I need to remove the paneling under the dash on the passenger side in order to see the Diagnostic Display. Again, thanks.

Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine