Another 200tdi No Start Thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Another 200tdi No Start Thread

First, I am a diesel newbie. I know gas motors just fine, but these diesels are foreign to me (literally!).

Anyway, it's a Disco 200tdi. I just replaced the timing belt and tensioner, fuel filter, and oil and filter a few weeks ago. The truck fired right up after the timing belt install. A week ago when I tried to start it it would not fire. When I pressed my glow plug button (yes, I have a button) for a little bit it eventually fired and ran just fine. The other day it fired up and ran great again.

Now today it won't fire up at all. It's in my garage at about 35 degrees. Battery shows 12.10V. I've tried the glow plugs, and tested that they had power, they do. I tested the power lead to the injection pump and it's good. I disconnected the fuel lead to #1 cylinder and got no fuel when I crank the motor over. Does this sound like the fuel pump? I tried pumping the lever and it seem too easy to pump by hand.

I do not have a water/debris separator on the truck.

Anyone have any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
First, I am a diesel newbie. I know gas motors just fine, but these diesels are foreign to me (literally!).

Anyway, it's a Disco 200tdi. I just replaced the timing belt and tensioner, fuel filter, and oil and filter a few weeks ago. The truck fired right up after the timing belt install. A week ago when I tried to start it it would not fire. When I pressed my glow plug button (yes, I have a button) for a little bit it eventually fired and ran just fine. The other day it fired up and ran great again.

Now today it won't fire up at all. It's in my garage at about 35 degrees. Battery shows 12.10V. I've tried the glow plugs, and tested that they had power, they do. I tested the power lead to the injection pump and it's good. I disconnected the fuel lead to #1 cylinder and got no fuel when I crank the motor over. Does this sound like the fuel pump? I tried pumping the lever and it seem too easy to pump by hand.

I do not have a water/debris separator on the truck.

Anyone have any ideas?
I don't have a sedimentor either, and mine starts up without glows even below 20 degrees. Sounds like you are having a fuel gelling issue. Maybe water in the filter but if you have changed it recently I doubt it built up that fast. If you have a vacuum pump see if you can't pull some fuel through the lines. BTW you should be able to ascertain flow just by cracking the unions no need to pull them all the way apart. Also make sure the shutoff solenoid is doing something when you put the 12v lead on. You can kind of hear or feel it engage.
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am embarrassed to ask, but where is the shutoff solenoid located?

By the way, I get no smoke coming out of the exhaust whilst cranking over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If the lever on the lift pump moves easily, it may just be the position of the cam. Rotate the crank a few degrees and try again. You should be able to fairly easily pump up to the injector pump. If the power is getting to injector pump solenoid, that's the next step. Then by loosening the pipe connection to each of the injectors, you can see if you are getting fuel to the injectors.
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When I crack the fuel lines at each of the injectors I get a little bit of fuel coming out when cranking, but no spray.

Semper Fi!
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Check your fuel hose connection as you might be sucking air in stead of fuel, and also, if there is air going in it means the fuel can actually flow back to the tank when not in use and then you need to re-prime the system for it to work all over again. Did you bleed your fuel filter with the hand pump ?

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
Check your fuel hose connection as you might be sucking air in stead of fuel, and also, if there is air going in it means the fuel can actually flow back to the tank when not in use and then you need to re-prime the system for it to work all over again. Did you bleed your fuel filter with the hand pump ?

Pat
I did not bleed the fuel filter - was I supposed to? When I unscrew the bottom cap on the fuel filter fuel does come out.

Since the motor was turning about two revolutions and stopping I tried jumping it with my battery charger and it still only turns about 3 or 4 revolutions before stopping. Just wondering if it could be the battery too.

Semper Fi!
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

If it is not smoking your are not getting any fuel, even with bad glow plugs it would smoke. There was a long thread on this subject not long ago, and it was the pump. at 35 degrees gelling should not be an issue. We have been in the teens for lows all week and all my diesels started right up.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Okay, it turns out to be the "brand new" battery (10/09). It's just not producing enough CCAs to turn the motor. After charging the battery and switching over to jump mode it fired right up.

Time to get an Optima.

Semper Fi!
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
check all your battery/starter connections, ground th engine block/and or starter well i.e, direct to battery, clean all the connections to bright metal, make up or buy a larger + cble and you should be good to go on pretty much any old battery. AFAIK the optimas and the like are not any higher CCa than normal batteries. Asking for trouble I know but my truck is still using the dinky little battery that it came with from the UK.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I did not bleed the fuel filter - was I supposed to? When I unscrew the bottom cap on the fuel filter fuel does come out.

Since the motor was turning about two revolutions and stopping I tried jumping it with my battery charger and it still only turns about 3 or 4 revolutions before stopping. Just wondering if it could be the battery too.
Sounds like your starter is on the way out. Thats how mine acted when it was dying.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
check all your battery/starter connections, ground th engine block/and or starter well i.e, direct to battery, clean all the connections to bright metal, make up or buy a larger + cble and you should be good to go on pretty much any old battery. AFAIK the optimas and the like are not any higher CCa than normal batteries. Asking for trouble I know but my truck is still using the dinky little battery that it came with from the UK.
Yeah, that's all next. My current battery only has 700 CCAs, I think Optimas are at least 800 or 850 and don't drain as fast. I'm a dual Optima guy on all my trucks, so this is just an excuse to do that project sooner. I know of at least on recent electrical install that is draining my battery prematurely.

Semper Fi!
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
For future references, when installing new filter or for priming fuel system you need to unscrew the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter holder and pump until fuel comes out. And for the pump to operate properly you need to be on the cam to have some resistance on the lever so you might need to have to turn the engine a few times over to get it.

Good that you got it going !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

You may still need a new starter. I ended up replacing the one on my 200tdi, because it was turning over very slowly even with a new charged battery.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, start, tdi