!&*@! ..... still overheating! - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 11th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC

Try one of the silcone based block sealants. You have to follow the directions to the T, flush all the radiator fluid out and replace with water--I took out the two block plugs to make sure I got everything out, and then add it. Just follow the directions. It is easy, messy, but done within a half day for under $20 bucks. If it works, you are golden. If you want more info, do a search and read what I did in the past. Good luck.

Old July 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
'94 D90 ST
Originally Posted by bd90
still overheated with the ticking sound. Turned off engine and opened resevoir. I got a little puff of air (the system depressuring??) but here's the weird thing. Stuck my finger in the resevoir and the coolant was COOL.... literally cool to the touch. How can this be?
Water pump?

Old July 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Christian Gunther
'94 D90
Okay, I am about to take my truck out back and kill it.

In calling around to get some head gasket/valve job estimates a mechanic finally made some sense when describing what was happening. Unfortunately, he told me that I likely had a hairline crack in my block that was expanding with the heat of long trips. He also strongly recommended against using block sealer because of the heat of where I currently and soon will live.

My question is: How likely is this the case?

How much does it run for a new engine? I would rather make the jump to Diesel, but don't know if I can afford it.

If its too much, anyone want to buy my truck?
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Brian Love
If you are going to kill it, I recommend blowing it in place.....by far more rewarding.

I just did the jump to Diesel, it is not cheap compared to a rebuild/same engine swap. I was forced to push my engine replacement about a year early due to a head gasket failure (it was leaking so bad it was killing my starter). All told, I love my HS 2.8L and it was so worth it.

Inspirational Thought of the Day

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions