analyze this-spark plug pics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

analyze this-spark plug pics

sorry to start a new thread on this but i pulled all my plugs and somethings obviously wrong.i thought it was running rich and was told to remove the plugs to check them.so i removed them and took some pics if someone can offer some info on these plugs i would greatly appreciate it. first pic-passenger side, second pic-drivers side, third pic- is a close up of the drivers side(the first plug totally clean,seemed a little damp with something ?maybe?not to sure on that. second plug is covered in more stoot than the other plugs and seemed a little damp maybe?once again not to sure if its damp or not also, and the third plug is about what the other 6 plugs look like)and the fourth pic-is the old 2 sensor that is lightly covered in soot-the new o2s have about twice the coverage in about 50 miles of driving.the shine on the threads is anti seize
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00418.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	5528   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00419.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	5529  

Name:	DSC00420.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	5530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00408.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	5531  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

All the plugs look normal except that one, which is showing a misfire with fuel, is my guess. I would start by taking the compression of that cylinder. Also, with the engine running, pull the plug off the spark plug (or distributor) and listen if you can notice any difference (WARNING!!! When pulling the plug, use a pair of insulated pullers or something as it is high voltage and we don't want anyone getting hurt). My guess is you won't hear squat of a difference. You either have no spark or spark with no compression.

My guess is either you have no compression (for whatever reason) or no spark caused possibly by a bad wire. Let us know what you find.
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Looks like you are either not firing that one plug, or less likely are getting oil into the cylinder through a bad valve seal or other issue. The other 7 all look pretty much normal to my eye.

I'm with Chris that a compression test would be a good idea. Also give the cap/rotor/wires a good visual inspection, and pop off the distributor cap and see if there are any visible issues in there. And maybe also replace that plug too, it's rare but bad plugs do happen.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

For referance

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

well i figured out that problem when i did the compression test-the plug that wasnt firing-the plug wire was not fully seated on to the spark plug.i did the compression test all tested the same. put plugs back and all boots on snug and it drove better.so on to a new problem- i was driving along yetserday and about 5 miles into my trip i am at a stop light, light turn green and i take a left and cruise along and it starts to sputter so i take a quick right off the main steet and it dies and will not start. i could not hear the fuel pump so i thought it was the relays.checked it today and can hear the fuel pump again and check pressure at the filter.it wont start and if it does it starts for about 5 seconds runs good and then dies.i pulled the plugs and this is the same plugs as in the first pic in my first post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00421.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	5585  
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Primary Coil Connections?

Clean the primary connections at the coil. When they get to corroded or if you hit them while change the wires, the car can start then die. The Primary side of the coil is the little wires. The best fix is to get rid of the push on terminals and get eyelets and connect them straight to the coil. Hope this could help.

Scott
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

new magnacor wires and new mallory dist. and i did the eyeles staight to the coil
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Another thought, the ECU naturally over-fuels the engine at start-up and when cold. So if you constantly have to re-start it, then you are going to be fouling the plugs like that.

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

fuel filter has maybe 100 miles on it,things that are not new is the fuel temp sensor,fuel pressure regulator,throttle sensor, stepper motor

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions