An Odd Vibration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Question An Odd Vibration

Need some help figuring out an odd vibration ?

The vibration only occurs when going 40, yes only this speed, it will do it during acceleration & decleration, it kinda sounds as if it's coming from my left front wheel (passenger side & sounds that way)...

Any help would be great ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mine does it at exactly 72mph, which is exactly where I like to cruise at on road trips. Since it is at this speed, it has to be rolling stock--the most obvious is the tires out of balance. If it was a drive shaft, I would expect to get repeat harmonics of some sort, but I don't. My guess? Tire balance.
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Thanks Chris & that's what I'm hoping it is, tire balance that is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:18 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

I had the same problem around 50 MPH. I put in new panrods and bushings and this seemed to temporarily fix it. I just got around to replacing the shocks today and I found that the front bushings were shot. The rubber bung looked like chewing gum from the hydraulic fluid leaking on it. After the new shocks it is straight as an arrow. It might have been the shocks, but my guess is that just the bushings were the culprit. If you crawl under the front and visually look at the rubber bungs then this might help your diagnosis. It was a long shot but it seemed to do the trick for me.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Thanks Thomas,

I will check this out, for the time I've had the truck the shocks have yet to be replaced, as for tire rotation / balance this has been done several times...

Once again thanks !
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

No problem. Like I say, the hydraulic fluid can break down that rubber if they are leaking. I replaced mine with Bilstein's (gas) and so far so good. The cost was around $330 for all 4 shocks and I paid my Enlish buddy an 8 pack of Guiness to use his tools. Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions