An amusing Speedometer problem.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

An amusing Speedometer problem....

To be flat out honest, I'm probably not even going to bother fixing it, since I have replaced all the other gauges already with Autometer Cobalt's. But I figured you guys would get a kick out of it anyways.

I was driving home the other day, and notice milage of 99,995. So, being the D-Geek that I am I grabbed my cell-phone to take a photo of the milage at 99,999. And I laughed to myself thinking it would be funny if that never-before-used digit all the way on the left got jammed. I laughed even more when it DID get jammed right at that spot. So, for a week now and about 100 miles of driving I have an odomoter stuck halfway switching from 099,999 to 100,000. The speedometer and trip odometer work fine, and it's not like I can read the gauge at night anyways, so I'm in no real rush. But it's a great excuse to get that new Autometer speedo finally.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Funny... I had one do that on my old 90... it was like that for a couple hundred miles then one day decided to actually switch over and start up again... wierd.
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
What model Autometer do you eventually plan to get? And have you been recording all those extra miles you've put on???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm going to be picking up the Cobalt, all the other dash gauges are from that series already anyways. I just need to figure out a nice spacer piece to fit the 3 3/8" gauge into the 4" hole.

I'm not too worried about recording the extra miles just yet. The stock speedo was reading about 10% too fast anyways, and that sure can add up over the course of the indicated 100k miles. So I've got a while until it catches up with reality anyways.

Old October 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
How about a custom stainless bezel like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bexel.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	7067  
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

My RRC did this turning over 90,000. Still on 90,000 a year later.
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

What kills me is that even a VDO gauge in LR guise is crap!

Hans, keep us posted if you find that spacer. I'm in the same boat having picked up an ISSPRO speedo for $20 but still sitting in the box until I get the rest of the gauge set.
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Long term, I'm probably just going to do a new panel for the gauge, but my plans are a bit more involved when I do that change. I'm either going to have a local guy, who is also a D-90 member, do one for me on his waterjet machine. Or I am also thinking of trying a thin slice of 4"OD PVC pipe until I do that new panel. Or maybe wrap some weatherstripping or rubber strip around the gauge body.

The custom bezels look nice, but the issue isn't the front face, it's the back mounting hole for the gauge. The hole in the panel is too big and the Autometer gauge will fall through. So I need a spacer that fits behind the face on the mounting lip in the panel. That, and the Cobalts already have chrome bezels on them.

-Hans

Old October 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You can simply cut a square piece of metal and drill a hole to accept the smaller gauge. Then just epoxy it to the rear of the dash. Granted, it will be set in and not flush but it's simple and cheap. If you want the flush look you can cut a ring out of foam or something similar and glue it to the inset space. A correct, pressed piece would be nice though - I'm sure they make them.

Another note: if you're going with the small speedo you may consider cutting out and replacing the panel for the gauges with one that can accept the speedo and four gauges. You'll have to fit them in a staggered array. For me three are fine: oil pressure, water temp, auto tranny temp.
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:52 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Ive got the same 99/100k thing going on, for a while now, the oil change guys look at me funny every time im there, it reads the same mileage!!

gague upgrade . . . its on the list - sigh.

~Steve
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Guage upgrade

hey guys, I am looking to upgrade the dash. Does anyone have the problem of the flickering, garbled odometer? which doesnt help me much when I have to count miles to empty because my fuel gauge works whenever it wants to. Any suggestions for gutting it all? where to order nice upgrades? and that wiring nightmare to re attach or redo it all? thanks
-Jason
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The dying readout on the '97 odometer has come up before. The apparent issue is a bad connector for the digital readout. Some folks have had luck taking the speedo apart and working on the connection, but not something I would recommend unless you are experienced with electronics.

Here is the only thread I could find on the topic

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3035

-Hans

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

My old Range Rovers odometer quit a bunch of times and would randomly restart. Finally it quit at like 70K and a couple years, probably 20K miles worth of time. Finally one day I got rear ended by a taxi on the highwway and it caused the rusted body mounts to break loose and the body fell off the frame, but the odometer started working again..
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor

gague upgrade . . . its on the list - sigh.

~Steve

How is it that even when you cross things off it still get longer?

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It might have reached critical mass, similar to an atomic pile. You hit one, and it splits into two separate and totally new action items on the list.

-Hans

Old October 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

2 out of 3 speedos I have had from 94/95 D-90s died at 100k. They still worked but did not clock miles. I know CvC's did the same. Thankfully the one I have now is ok at 114k as is the one in the 110 project from JimC.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo