Amplifier needed for CB external speakers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Amplifier needed for CB external speakers

Any suggestions on how to amplify the volume on 2 external speakers that are connected to my Cobra 75. I am using two 6 inch JL audio stereo speakers.

I prefer not to run the typical amplified external speakers that one can purchase for a CB radio. I prefer the stealth look of having the current setup as the speakers are flush mounted in my dash.

Thanks.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Interesting you should mention this - I just finished running the wires for that last weekend. Same reasons - stealth install in factory locations I am actually using the typical CB radio speakers that connect with the 1/8" connectors. Left dash speaker is for the HAM radio, right dash speaker is for the CB. I have yet to hear them powered up, so I might be looking for the same sort of thing too if they're not loud enough.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:55 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Are they running through an aux input in your head unit? If not, is that out of the question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2011, 11:08 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
find a cheap amp on ebay, get a 1/8 to rca adapter an hook the cb to the amp and the amp to the speakers....

You may need to put someting in betweem the cb and the amp to attmuate the signal a little bit...

Same theory of people wo want to run an ipad or ipod instead of a head unit...so may gooe that fr soe more info.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Any suggestions on how to amplify the volume on 2 external speakers that are connected to my Cobra 75. I am using two 6 inch JL audio stereo speakers.

I prefer not to run the typical amplified external speakers that one can purchase for a CB radio. I prefer the stealth look of having the current setup as the speakers are flush mounted in my dash.

Thanks.
Chris
There is a nice CB shop on Essex Street in Rochelle Park/Maywood Just West of Route 17. If you are coming from the north (heading south on 17) take the Essex Street Exit and head right. It is across from the Harley dealership. They will have what you need.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm interested in this topic, but the path I'd like to take is a little different. I'm not an audiophile so I may be using the wrong terminology, but I want a multiplexer. I want something smart enough to be able to take multiple input streams and be able to prioritize them. So say you have the radio, cb and some other device like a bluetooth phone. If the CB comes on, it should cut in and be used as the source instead of the radio. The bluetooth should override both.

I'm guessing these products exist but I know I can do this with a carputer if necessary.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

If you have a decent radio it should have a Jack for an AUX speaker. I have a Cobra and it does. The speaker that came with it is very loud....
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Dave
I decided to go the route of purchasing a mini amplifier, 200w made for a motor bike, and will use that to boost the power to speakers. Thank for the advice to use a 1/8 to RCA adapter to amp. This should do the trick.

Charles
I am also running the device in the link below...this is what you maybe looking for. It works nicely to mute the stereo when an incoming/outgoing call from my CB radio is recognized.
http://www.scannermaster.com/Audio_I.../45-561488.htm
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Chris.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Dave
I decided to go the route of purchasing a mini amplifier, 200w made for a motor bike, and will use that to boost the power to speakers. Thank for the advice to use a 1/8 to RCA adapter to amp. This should do the trick.

Charles
I am also running the device in the link below...this is what you maybe looking for. It works nicely to mute the stereo when an incoming/outgoing call from my CB radio is recognized.
http://www.scannermaster.com/Audio_I.../45-561488.htm

Neat device but still requires you to have an audio interrupt on your stereo so without a slightly fancier head unit it looks like that isn't really doing anything (at least from the install instructions on the site). Audio interrupt features are becoming rarer now on aftermarket head units since the introduction of built in and optional blue tooth.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I was eager to take a look at the device for thoughts of use myself.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Didn't know that most manufacturers were eliminating the audio interrupt input from their head units. Fortunately, the new $100 Alpine head unit I just purchased still had this feature. Sounds like it's worth investigating compatibility prior to purchasing the audio interrupt device and/or head unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speakers