Am I running cold? 2.5 NAD - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2014, 04:22 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Am I running cold? 2.5 NAD

I haven't had my 2.5 NA diesel very long and I haven't gotten the thing titled yet, so I've not gotten much *ahem* road time. I got the thing for winter and have been trying to winterize it. Put a pickup cap on it and trying to make sure the heating/defogging works. It can get warm inside on a cold morning, no problem. But the temp gauge never gets to middle (stupid dummy gauge). Today I shoved a piece of cardboard up behind the grill and buzzed around for a while. Still. Temp about the same. My IR thermometer reads about 140 F on the coolant hose INTO the radiator.. similar temp for air out of the heater. I read online that it should have somewhere more near the 170s 180s for a thermostat. Going to assume mine is stuck open/missing? I'd rip it apart, but.... eh... I thought I'd check with you before I caused a troublesome coolant leak.

Engine sounds fine, runs fine, starts fine. Does 60mph rather quickly, all things considered. Just seems dangerously cold. and thats in 40s - 50 degree weather.

Anyway... Off to find out how to remove the 'stat. Since I figure i'll probably need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2014, 04:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Your thermostat is stuck open. Swap it out and that should fix your problem.
Old October 12th, 2014, 04:29 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Easy way to tell..get it as warm as it will get and then leave it idling while running cold water over the radiator from a hose..if the needle drops a good deal, which it should then yes, your thermostat is not doing its job.. And yes you should be seeing temps around 90c or 180-190f.. What you want to do is check the temp with your gun at the thermostat housing and your top rad I let pipe..should be a big difference if your thermostat is working.id be getting ready to put a new one in..and go for the warmer one you can get..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Yea, I'm ordering a new one... Its flowing from cold on. I guess, given the temperate climate and entering winter, I'll hit up a 82 degree stat
5 bucks... can't hurt...
thanks
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The use of cardboard in front of the radiator has proved useless to me in trying to get a diesel to run warmer or hotter and I have been driving them since 1981. Diesels inherently run cold.

I started reading about some VW Tdi guys building hotter thermostats (Google this for more info) and reading about how other engine manufacturers are are running hotter thermostats in order to more easily comply with EPA NOX emission standards. Ford uses T-stats up to 215°F in their newer diesels.

Though mine is a 300Tdi and not your 2.5 NA, I have built thermostats for mine up to 205°F and am currently running a 198°F in the summer with no ill effects (I will change to my 205°F here shortly for the winter). I have driven it with the 198°F unit for 12 hours straight over various terrain & speeds. The higher temperature unit will raise the pressure in the cooling system so your radiator cap and hose clamps need to be in good working order. In using the stock 192°F T-stat, my cooling hoses were always mushy not at all firm like I had come accustom to them being on a gas vehicle.

I use thermostats made by Motorad & combine their various components to arrive at my desired T-stat. Running a hotter T-stat will shorten your warm-up time dramatically.
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:34 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

And running a hotter thermostat lets your heater work wayyy better..
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:20 PM
Beaver87
Alistair Davidson
Ex MOD '86 90 12j

thermostat removal

defendermd,
i have the same engine and am looking to renew my coolant for the first time since i bought the thing. Pretty sure iam supposed to remove the thermostat to enable a quality flushing of the system. but on mine the top of the stat is the mount for the fan duct and dont really want to take that off as kinda a fiddle to reinstall.
Anyway around this or does the fan duct have to come off too?
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:33 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
You just have to undo that nut. Its flex mounted so all good. Getting the likely glued on stat housing off without damaging anything… that's a trick. Mine took a chisel being hammered into the edges (gently)…

Finding a drain in the bottom of the coolant jacket would be a better bet. I mean… If you could find a drain (and there may well be one) it would be a snap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions