Am I off my Rocker? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Question Am I off my Rocker?

Am I off my Rocker?

I know my wife will think so, but you guys might be a little more sympathetic. The story. Iíve had the Defender for 12 years now, and have no interest in ever getting rid of it. But I donít drive it every day (see the part about wanting to keep it for life). Back in 2000 I bought a í96 Discovery (5-speed) as an everyday driver. I loved it. 235/85 M/Ts, about 3Ē of lift, ARB winch bumper, it was perfect until it puked out a transmission and transfer case. The decision to fix it left me with an angry wife for some time. Two years later, it puked up the transfer case again (long story but the abridged version is that it was a result of oil loss because the output flange worked loose and damaged the rear oil seal, shop refused to take any responsibility).

Problem is I have missed the Discovery as an everyday driver ever since. Iím now driving a completely sensible, dog reliable, fuel efficient í05 Subaru Outback. It is well cared for, owned since new, and will probably run until my daughter (4 now) is in college. But I still miss my Discovery.

So would I be completely off my rocker to dump my perfectly reliable, good at everything I honestly need it to do Outback for an í04 Discovery SD that just happens to be the color & option combination I love, nicely built, still under CPO warranty (for another 9 month anyway) and can probably be had for just a tad more than I can sell the Outback for??

How much trouble are the í04 Discoveryís? Iíd really hate to loose my wife/family over it you know, so it would have to be a good ownership experience or Iíd probably have a wife serving me divorce papers..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I have owned 2 Disco's . . . an '01 and and '02. I really enjoyed them, I never had any issues. The fuel mileage is not that great, certainly not as great as an Outback. I would only recommend that it not be a SE7. The lost space in the rear is not worth 2 seats you will never use.

One thing to consider, I may be off-base here, but I don't think they are as easy to work on as the Series I Disco's. Then again, you probably don't do too much work on the Outback (no offense)

That being said, I don't think it would be a bad purchase. The Disco's are about 42 times cooler than an Outback!
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Forget it. Disco's are disposable junk that lose value faster than you can say "Titanic." Keep the subie and buy yourself a bargain basement D1 with some goodies off craigslist or the like, if you must have one. And *never* buy a car for its color...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Am I off my Rocker?

So would I be completely off my rocker to dump my perfectly reliable, good at everything I honestly need it to do Outback for an í04 Discovery SD that just happens to be the color & option combination I love,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Forget it. Disco's are disposable junk that lose value faster than you can say "Titanic." Keep the subie and buy yourself a bargain basement D1 with some goodies off craigslist or the like, if you must have one. And *never* buy a car for its color...
why be so obtuse Dave ? what do you really think ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Buy my 03 DII on the for sale section. Had a new short block put in it under warranty at 35k. Also still has 6months coverage with the APCO extended.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Ha. I've been told that sometimes I can be "direct." I just thought it sounded like a bad plan. I'm not a big fan of the disco/rr line from a longevity standpoint. Cheap and dirty off offroader and fun daily driver, sure. But don't get attached to them. I can only imagine that "a bit more than" the value of the 2005 outback is a sum that I personally would never want to lay down for a disco/rr when good functional examples can be had for "much less than" the same value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
why be so obtuse Dave ? what do you really think ?
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Arent we all "off our rockers"? Not sure whats practical about any of our land rover vehicles but thats not why we like them.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

My wife and I have an '08 outback and I would not trade it for a 2004 Discovery for any reason. The disco might look cooler, but you already have a d90 for the cool factor. Plus, it's not like its a kia or something. At least out here, the outback has a certain cool factor.

Plus, look how many of those trucks need headgasket jobs! You would have to just budget in a grand right off the bat for a headgasket job
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Am I off my Rocker?

I know my wife will think so, but you guys might be a little more sympathetic. The story. Iíve had the Defender for 12 years now, and have no interest in ever getting rid of it. But I donít drive it every day (see the part about wanting to keep it for life). Back in 2000 I bought a í96 Discovery (5-speed) as an everyday driver. I loved it. 235/85 M/Ts, about 3Ē of lift, ARB winch bumper, it was perfect until it puked out a transmission and transfer case. The decision to fix it left me with an angry wife for some time. Two years later, it puked up the transfer case again (long story but the abridged version is that it was a result of oil loss because the output flange worked loose and damaged the rear oil seal, shop refused to take any responsibility).

Problem is I have missed the Discovery as an everyday driver ever since. Iím now driving a completely sensible, dog reliable, fuel efficient í05 Subaru Outback. It is well cared for, owned since new, and will probably run until my daughter (4 now) is in college. But I still miss my Discovery.

So would I be completely off my rocker to dump my perfectly reliable, good at everything I honestly need it to do Outback for an í04 Discovery SD that just happens to be the color & option combination I love, nicely built, still under CPO warranty (for another 9 month anyway) and can probably be had for just a tad more than I can sell the Outback for??

How much trouble are the í04 Discoveryís? Iíd really hate to loose my wife/family over it you know, so it would have to be a good ownership experience or Iíd probably have a wife serving me divorce papers..
We need more information. Who makes the money in your familY? Do you and your wife both work?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Buy my 03 DII on the for sale section. Had a new short block put in it under warranty at 35k. Also still has 6months coverage with the APCO extended.
Nothing personal, but I don't like black interiors, too gloomy, and I'm not a fan of a truck that has had an engine replacement (and didn't '03s have alot of oil pump failure issues as well?), and the '03's have no center diff lock. Besides, the truck in question has half the mileage, more warranty coverage (CPO), is the color/option combination I like, and is built well with a nice quality suspension lift, front and rear bumpers, winch, etc, and I wouldn't pay much more than you are asking for yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
My wife and I have an '08 outback and I would not trade it for a 2004 Discovery for any reason. The disco might look cooler, but you already have a d90 for the cool factor. Plus, it's not like its a kia or something. At least out here, the outback has a certain cool factor.

Plus, look how many of those trucks need headgasket jobs! You would have to just budget in a grand right off the bat for a headgasket job
Hadn't heard of all the head gasket issues. I was hoping the '04's would have had most of the wrinkles ironed out. I'm not sure how much cool factor the Outback has in my area, but honestly its a nice daily driver (and a stick, something I would miss in the Disco). I'm probably off my rocker, but just had to check..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
We need more information. Who makes the money in your familY? Do you and your wife both work?
Well Buck, I have to say I don't really see where the information you are looking for would have any bearing on the decision, but thanks for your input..

Old May 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Well Buck, I have to say I don't really see where the information you are looking for would have any bearing on the decision, but thanks for your input..
It's totally cool if you don't want to talk about personal stuff. Hope I didn't overstep. Sorry if I did.

But, if you bring the bacon, you can tell her that you are the Chief, and she is the lowly squaw. And you will do what you want and she will like it!

Thats where the joke was going at least. Swing and miss.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Hey Scott, just drive the defender more. It's good for the truck to be driven as long as you take care of the maintenance. And it doesn't need to last forever, only until 2021 when newer ones become available! Take the extra $$ you would have spent on the Discovery wrecker bait and spend it on some comfort upgrades for the 90.

just my "other" $.02...
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I've had my 04 Disco since the end of 07. So far it hasn't had any major issues. Had the water pump replaced under warranty and a couple of other small things here and there. I also purchased the Extended Warranty for it which is nice for peace of mind (recommend it if it's still available on the truck you're looking at). Yes, the Discos do have Head Gasket issues, hopefully I won't have problems with mine any time soon. They use the same 4.6 as the P38s I believe. The 04s are definitely better than the 03s because of the CDL.

Anyway, it's a Land Rover so it's always going to have issues...I'm crazy enough that I just bought another 04 last week. Prices on these things have dropped so much that you can get 04s from $9-15K depending on model and condition. I say buy one for cheap and keep your Outback.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
keep the subaru.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
04' Discovery is amazing 65k miles no issues, plenty of room and power and will perform better in bad weather, had it since 05. dump the Subaru there no fun, and anyway you loved your precious disco anyway.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I have an 03 DII with 82K, had since new. Only major issue was the main shaft seals -- which were replaced under warranty. It is basically the same engine (at least block) that is in your Defender. Good engines as long as you don't overheat them. I'd go with the Disco.

Other minor issues -- windshield wiper switch, heating/AC blower control (this one sucked -- mid-July in Arizona with no AC and a black interior) I almost melted before i got it fixed.

Scott
95 D90 SW
03 DII
Couple of Italian cars
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:54 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

I had an 02 disco SE with 65K and no problems. Currently have an 03 disco SE with 67K since new and only needed MAS sensor and one O2 sensor. I am not really sure way everyone beats up on these trucks? Unless you are comparing a Land Rover to a Toyota, Lexus, Honda or Acura, most vehicles out there have their share of problems. And please note that you pay out the ass for any of the above mentioned vehicles on the front end of the deal. To be honest I have had the least amount of problems out of my Land Rovers over the years (9) versus every other car I have owned.

And not to be rude, but there is no place on the plant a subaru is cooler than any rover. Ditch the subaru, buy the disco you like and get excited again about driving to work! Life is too short to be practical.

Doc Holliday
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Mod the Subaru until she hates it, then the D2 will look good to her. win-win!
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

x2 on just driving the Defender.
There's no reason it shouldn't last "forever" with good maintenance. Stash $100 a month for a repair kitty (repairs, not modifications) and you'll probably be set to keep it going as long as you are allowed to drive.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:30 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Hey Scott, just drive the defender more. It's good for the truck to be driven as long as you take care of the maintenance. And it doesn't need to last forever, only until 2021 when newer ones become available! Take the extra $$ you would have spent on the Discovery wrecker bait and spend it on some comfort upgrades for the 90.

just my "other" $.02...
I will here soon (I take her off the road every winter because of the profuse use of salt on the roads, and we all know how rust resistant Defenders really are). Its not a comfort issue, I would drive it every day, but I want it to be around for a long time, and that requires some concessions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
04' Discovery is amazing 65k miles no issues, plenty of room and power and will perform better in bad weather, had it since 05. dump the Subaru there no fun, and anyway you loved your precious disco anyway.
As much as I'd like to agree, for the most part the Subaru is probably better in bad weather, since it has considerable less mass, stopping and directional changes in poor traction conditions are likely to be better, and unless the weather gets bad enough (deep enough snow) that locking the center differential is warranted, the Subaru's limited slip center diff, and rear diff add yet another traction and handling advantage, particularly in rain and light snow. I'm also of the opinion that I have more control over a manual transmission car than an auto, but opinions vary..

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Mod the Subaru until she hates it, then the D2 will look good to her. win-win!
She actually likes the Discovery (design wise), that's not the issue. The issue is our poor experience with reliability, and high cost of repair (transmission and transfer case replacements aren't cheap, or ordinarily expected)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
keep the subaru.
It is very likely I will. I'm getting wants and needs confused again, and making the emotional choice over the logical one will likely bite me in the A** ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions