Am I off my Rocker? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM
LRNAD90's Avatar
LRNAD90
Status: Offline
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,265
Registry
Question Am I off my Rocker?

Am I off my Rocker?

I know my wife will think so, but you guys might be a little more sympathetic. The story. Iíve had the Defender for 12 years now, and have no interest in ever getting rid of it. But I donít drive it every day (see the part about wanting to keep it for life). Back in 2000 I bought a í96 Discovery (5-speed) as an everyday driver. I loved it. 235/85 M/Ts, about 3Ē of lift, ARB winch bumper, it was perfect until it puked out a transmission and transfer case. The decision to fix it left me with an angry wife for some time. Two years later, it puked up the transfer case again (long story but the abridged version is that it was a result of oil loss because the output flange worked loose and damaged the rear oil seal, shop refused to take any responsibility).

Problem is I have missed the Discovery as an everyday driver ever since. Iím now driving a completely sensible, dog reliable, fuel efficient í05 Subaru Outback. It is well cared for, owned since new, and will probably run until my daughter (4 now) is in college. But I still miss my Discovery.

So would I be completely off my rocker to dump my perfectly reliable, good at everything I honestly need it to do Outback for an í04 Discovery SD that just happens to be the color & option combination I love, nicely built, still under CPO warranty (for another 9 month anyway) and can probably be had for just a tad more than I can sell the Outback for??

How much trouble are the í04 Discoveryís? Iíd really hate to loose my wife/family over it you know, so it would have to be a good ownership experience or Iíd probably have a wife serving me divorce papers..
__________________
~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Bozman's Avatar
Bozman
Status: Offline
Greg
1991 200tdi D90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Manchester, Vermont
Posts: 1,571
Registry
I have owned 2 Disco's . . . an '01 and and '02. I really enjoyed them, I never had any issues. The fuel mileage is not that great, certainly not as great as an Outback. I would only recommend that it not be a SE7. The lost space in the rear is not worth 2 seats you will never use.

One thing to consider, I may be off-base here, but I don't think they are as easy to work on as the Series I Disco's. Then again, you probably don't do too much work on the Outback (no offense)

That being said, I don't think it would be a bad purchase. The Disco's are about 42 times cooler than an Outback!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Forget it. Disco's are disposable junk that lose value faster than you can say "Titanic." Keep the subie and buy yourself a bargain basement D1 with some goodies off craigslist or the like, if you must have one. And *never* buy a car for its color...



Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Am I off my Rocker?


So would I be completely off my rocker to dump my perfectly reliable, good at everything I honestly need it to do Outback for an í04 Discovery SD that just happens to be the color & option combination I love,
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,839
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Forget it. Disco's are disposable junk that lose value faster than you can say "Titanic." Keep the subie and buy yourself a bargain basement D1 with some goodies off craigslist or the like, if you must have one. And *never* buy a car for its color...
why be so obtuse Dave ? what do you really think ?
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Campbell's Avatar
Campbell
Status: Offline
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,512
Registry
Buy my 03 DII on the for sale section. Had a new short block put in it under warranty at 35k. Also still has 6months coverage with the APCO extended.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Ha. I've been told that sometimes I can be "direct." I just thought it sounded like a bad plan. I'm not a big fan of the disco/rr line from a longevity standpoint. Cheap and dirty off offroader and fun daily driver, sure. But don't get attached to them. I can only imagine that "a bit more than" the value of the 2005 outback is a sum that I personally would never want to lay down for a disco/rr when good functional examples can be had for "much less than" the same value.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
why be so obtuse Dave ? what do you really think ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,789
Registry
Arent we all "off our rockers"? Not sure whats practical about any of our land rover vehicles but thats not why we like them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Gore Ranger's Avatar
Gore Ranger
Status: Offline
Jeff
1989 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
My wife and I have an '08 outback and I would not trade it for a 2004 Discovery for any reason. The disco might look cooler, but you already have a d90 for the cool factor. Plus, it's not like its a kia or something. At least out here, the outback has a certain cool factor.

Plus, look how many of those trucks need headgasket jobs! You would have to just budget in a grand right off the bat for a headgasket job
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Am I off my Rocker?

I know my wife will think so, but you guys might be a little more sympathetic. The story. Iíve had the Defender for 12 years now, and have no interest in ever getting rid of it. But I donít drive it every day (see the part about wanting to keep it for life). Back in 2000 I bought a í96 Discovery (5-speed) as an everyday driver. I loved it. 235/85 M/Ts, about 3Ē of lift, ARB winch bumper, it was perfect until it puked out a transmission and transfer case. The decision to fix it left me with an angry wife for some time. Two years later, it puked up the transfer case again (long story but the abridged version is that it was a result of oil loss because the output flange worked loose and damaged the rear oil seal, shop refused to take any responsibility).

Problem is I have missed the Discovery as an everyday driver ever since. Iím now driving a completely sensible, dog reliable, fuel efficient í05 Subaru Outback. It is well cared for, owned since new, and will probably run until my daughter (4 now) is in college. But I still miss my Discovery.

So would I be completely off my rocker to dump my perfectly reliable, good at everything I honestly need it to do Outback for an í04 Discovery SD that just happens to be the color & option combination I love, nicely built, still under CPO warranty (for another 9 month anyway) and can probably be had for just a tad more than I can sell the Outback for??

How much trouble are the í04 Discoveryís? Iíd really hate to loose my wife/family over it you know, so it would have to be a good ownership experience or Iíd probably have a wife serving me divorce papers..
We need more information. Who makes the money in your familY? Do you and your wife both work?
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
LRNAD90's Avatar
LRNAD90
Status: Offline
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,265
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Buy my 03 DII on the for sale section. Had a new short block put in it under warranty at 35k. Also still has 6months coverage with the APCO extended.
Nothing personal, but I don't like black interiors, too gloomy, and I'm not a fan of a truck that has had an engine replacement (and didn't '03s have alot of oil pump failure issues as well?), and the '03's have no center diff lock. Besides, the truck in question has half the mileage, more warranty coverage (CPO), is the color/option combination I like, and is built well with a nice quality suspension lift, front and rear bumpers, winch, etc, and I wouldn't pay much more than you are asking for yours...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
My wife and I have an '08 outback and I would not trade it for a 2004 Discovery for any reason. The disco might look cooler, but you already have a d90 for the cool factor. Plus, it's not like its a kia or something. At least out here, the outback has a certain cool factor.

Plus, look how many of those trucks need headgasket jobs! You would have to just budget in a grand right off the bat for a headgasket job
Hadn't heard of all the head gasket issues. I was hoping the '04's would have had most of the wrinkles ironed out. I'm not sure how much cool factor the Outback has in my area, but honestly its a nice daily driver (and a stick, something I would miss in the Disco). I'm probably off my rocker, but just had to check..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
We need more information. Who makes the money in your familY? Do you and your wife both work?
Well Buck, I have to say I don't really see where the information you are looking for would have any bearing on the decision, but thanks for your input..
__________________
~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Well Buck, I have to say I don't really see where the information you are looking for would have any bearing on the decision, but thanks for your input..
It's totally cool if you don't want to talk about personal stuff. Hope I didn't overstep. Sorry if I did.

But, if you bring the bacon, you can tell her that you are the Chief, and she is the lowly squaw. And you will do what you want and she will like it!

Thats where the joke was going at least. Swing and miss.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
Hey Scott, just drive the defender more. It's good for the truck to be driven as long as you take care of the maintenance. And it doesn't need to last forever, only until 2021 when newer ones become available! Take the extra $$ you would have spent on the Discovery wrecker bait and spend it on some comfort upgrades for the 90.

just my "other" $.02...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
specops1526's Avatar
specops1526
Status: Offline
Brian
Beluga '97 90
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,565
I've had my 04 Disco since the end of 07. So far it hasn't had any major issues. Had the water pump replaced under warranty and a couple of other small things here and there. I also purchased the Extended Warranty for it which is nice for peace of mind (recommend it if it's still available on the truck you're looking at). Yes, the Discos do have Head Gasket issues, hopefully I won't have problems with mine any time soon. They use the same 4.6 as the P38s I believe. The 04s are definitely better than the 03s because of the CDL.

Anyway, it's a Land Rover so it's always going to have issues...I'm crazy enough that I just bought another 04 last week. Prices on these things have dropped so much that you can get 04s from $9-15K depending on model and condition. I say buy one for cheap and keep your Outback.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
-I need to figure out a cooler-looking way of getting into the driver's seat

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,525
Registry
keep the subaru.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
04' Discovery is amazing 65k miles no issues, plenty of room and power and will perform better in bad weather, had it since 05. dump the Subaru there no fun, and anyway you loved your precious disco anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Rocketman's Avatar
Rocketman
Status: Offline
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 163
I have an 03 DII with 82K, had since new. Only major issue was the main shaft seals -- which were replaced under warranty. It is basically the same engine (at least block) that is in your Defender. Good engines as long as you don't overheat them. I'd go with the Disco.

Other minor issues -- windshield wiper switch, heating/AC blower control (this one sucked -- mid-July in Arizona with no AC and a black interior) I almost melted before i got it fixed.

Scott
95 D90 SW
03 DII
Couple of Italian cars
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:54 PM
TND90's Avatar
TND90
Status: Offline
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eads, TN
Posts: 245
I had an 02 disco SE with 65K and no problems. Currently have an 03 disco SE with 67K since new and only needed MAS sensor and one O2 sensor. I am not really sure way everyone beats up on these trucks? Unless you are comparing a Land Rover to a Toyota, Lexus, Honda or Acura, most vehicles out there have their share of problems. And please note that you pay out the ass for any of the above mentioned vehicles on the front end of the deal. To be honest I have had the least amount of problems out of my Land Rovers over the years (9) versus every other car I have owned.

And not to be rude, but there is no place on the plant a subaru is cooler than any rover. Ditch the subaru, buy the disco you like and get excited again about driving to work! Life is too short to be practical.
__________________
"There is no normal life Wyatt, there's just life."

Doc Holliday
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
landrovered's Avatar
landrovered
Status: Offline
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Under my truck!
Posts: 753
Mod the Subaru until she hates it, then the D2 will look good to her. win-win!
__________________
72 Series III 109 SW Diesel, 03 RR, 98 Porsche 986, 01 Porsche 986 3.6 L
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Antichrist's Avatar
Antichrist
Status: Offline
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Posts: 1,280
x2 on just driving the Defender.
There's no reason it shouldn't last "forever" with good maintenance. Stash $100 a month for a repair kitty (repairs, not modifications) and you'll probably be set to keep it going as long as you are allowed to drive.
__________________
Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:30 AM
LRNAD90's Avatar
LRNAD90
Status: Offline
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,265
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Hey Scott, just drive the defender more. It's good for the truck to be driven as long as you take care of the maintenance. And it doesn't need to last forever, only until 2021 when newer ones become available! Take the extra $$ you would have spent on the Discovery wrecker bait and spend it on some comfort upgrades for the 90.

just my "other" $.02...
I will here soon (I take her off the road every winter because of the profuse use of salt on the roads, and we all know how rust resistant Defenders really are). Its not a comfort issue, I would drive it every day, but I want it to be around for a long time, and that requires some concessions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
04' Discovery is amazing 65k miles no issues, plenty of room and power and will perform better in bad weather, had it since 05. dump the Subaru there no fun, and anyway you loved your precious disco anyway.
As much as I'd like to agree, for the most part the Subaru is probably better in bad weather, since it has considerable less mass, stopping and directional changes in poor traction conditions are likely to be better, and unless the weather gets bad enough (deep enough snow) that locking the center differential is warranted, the Subaru's limited slip center diff, and rear diff add yet another traction and handling advantage, particularly in rain and light snow. I'm also of the opinion that I have more control over a manual transmission car than an auto, but opinions vary..

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Mod the Subaru until she hates it, then the D2 will look good to her. win-win!
She actually likes the Discovery (design wise), that's not the issue. The issue is our poor experience with reliability, and high cost of repair (transmission and transfer case replacements aren't cheap, or ordinarily expected)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
keep the subaru.
It is very likely I will. I'm getting wants and needs confused again, and making the emotional choice over the logical one will likely bite me in the A** ...
__________________
~Scott T.
'95 D-90 ST - AA Yellow
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rocker switch source ini88 Misc. Chit-Chat 0 December 19th, 2007 05:46 PM
Sourcing Rocker shaft bolts sflash868 Defender Technical Discussions 0 November 3rd, 2007 01:33 PM
Illuminated rocker switch source pmd Misc. Chit-Chat 7 March 9th, 2007 06:20 PM
Rocker Covers off thug1313 Defender Technical Discussions 9 April 30th, 2005 09:37 AM
Aux Rocker switch - OEM Kimos Defender Technical Discussions 3 December 1st, 2004 09:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Copyright