Am I going about buying a D90 in the wrong way? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

Am I going about buying a D90 in the wrong way?

So, I now had two experiences where I tried to buy a D90 only to be scooped by buyers who were willing to buy the car sight unseen by themselves and unchecked by a mechanic. My third experience, which ended today, was for a D-90 described as perfect. Well, after inspection it wasnt so perfect after all; the estimate for the repairs was $7500 and it included some pretty major work. The car was listed at, lets say, a premium price. I offered the seller his price less the cost of the repairs. That somehow offended him. Are my expectations too high? Considering I will not buy a D-90 without having it inspected first am I a candidate for a stealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

It is going to be damn near impossible to find one that a mechanic won't sell you work on. Also, things that sound major are just normal, par for the course with Rovers. ie. Head Gaskets, Intake Gaskets and Rear Mains are not uncommon and not a big deal to repair either. If you can do the work yourself they are pretty inexpensive repairs too which is one thing I really like about Rovers. The biggest problems are usually seals and gaskets which are more time consuming than anything. On the other hand, if you can't do the work yourself these tend to be the more exp. types of repairs. I think it all depends on the person. Some people have to agonize over vehicle purchases for weeks and others like me will jump on something in an instant if it looks like a great deal. If I had the $$ on me a week ago I would have bought another D sight unseen all the way in MA. Personally I don't have a problem buying one without seeing it as long as I can get a straight answer about a few specific things. If the bulkhead and frame are good and the overall cond. looks good in/out I figure I can handle anything else relatively inexpensively. What are you looking for? I know of a few that are passively for sale and I have personally seen/driven.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

No. You are going about it in the right way.

Anyone who would buy any used vehicle sight unseen is either a moron or they have a lot of spare cash and just don't care what the final cost is.

Keep looking and sooner or later you'll find the right truck at the right price.

Good luck and happy hunting.

-M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
So, I now had two experiences where I tried to buy a D90 only to be scooped by buyers who were willing to buy the car sight unseen by themselves and unchecked by a mechanic. My third experience, which ended today, was for a D-90 described as perfect. Well, after inspection it wasnt so perfect after all; the estimate for the repairs was $7500 and it included some pretty major work. The car was listed at, lets say, a premium price. I offered the seller his price less the cost of the repairs. That somehow offended him. Are my expectations too high? Considering I will not buy a D-90 without having it inspected first am I a candidate for a stealership?
Mike,

I feel your pain. I went through the same b/s looking for my D90. My advice is to be persistent and don't settle. This board has a plenty of information about what to look for in a D90. I found members of this board to be very friendly and willing to help. If you find a D90 for sale, ask if someone on this board can look at it.

Good Luck!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

Well I am about to put mine on sale in the middle of May, I have all the service records since 95, had new gasket and oil cooling line, and all the goodies, let me know if you are still looking for one, its a 95SW 62k miles. And the truck is in NYC

Bone!
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The only thing that might be wrong with your approach is deducting the full estimated cost of repairs from the asking price to form your offer. Most people will never believe that their vehicle needs thousands in work when it functions perfectly well day to day. If I vehicle was non-op, I think the repairs to make it run/pass inpsection would perhaps come dollar-for-dollar off of the price, but otherwise its just a compromise.

For example, when i bought my first d-90, the LR dealer indicated it needed 5500 in work. I wanted to make an agressive offer so I offered the seller 4k lower than the asking price. They didnt want to mess around, so they accepted it. I only had to put about 600 into the truck in the next 10000 miles.

If you approached the seller with the results of the inspection report, and offered to split the difference with them, they might be more receptive.

That being said, I agree with everyone else that you should wait for the right truck for you at a price you are comfortable paying. Defenders arent like Manhattan apartments. Its also really nice to hook up with someone like Ray here who hasnt put his truck on the market - that gives you more time to determine a fair price and whether or not you want the particular truck. So by tapping into the forum here you're on the right track. Good luck.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

well, come to find out as soon as he had the report in his hands he started ordering parts so, in my mind, he used me to get the inspection report I guess. and that pisses me off
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Ouch.

Don't feel bad. I bought a truck from UT - I'm in MD. I had a third party inspection, took the description of passing UT inspection (stricter than MD) as truthful, and got screwed on both counts.

So, when the next D90 shows up which you're interested in... do NOT jump unless you have good reason to believe it's as advertised, and have had a GOOD third part inspection. Don't use the seller's recommended inspection station, find your own (this board is a good start)...

I'm well over $2k in parts alone, and not even halfway finished getting Rust Bucket (see?) into fair condition, let alone the "excellent" condition advertised. And still can't drive the damn thing because I have to finish fixing stuff to get it to pass a reasonable MD inspection. :

You're going about it the right way.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

I dont think that this guy was out to deceive me or anything; i just think, as you wud expect, that people are emotional about their trucks. that being said, i, personally, would have brought it to the mechanic before I put it up for sale. In the very least it wud protect the seller against padded repair bills... but thats just me,

Follow-up Post:

Emerson: I learned the same lesson the hard way with a boat I purchased. I went with the surveyor they recommeded. He "missed" about, oh, $30k worth of things that needed to be done.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ham - jeez, dont give the results to the seller, thats like giving away a hundred bucks. Just share it with them! I try to avoid buying cars from bastards anyway, simply because its highly likely that they are knowingly pushing the price/condition envelope.

Emerson - this may not be what you want to hear, but I'd cut losses on rust bucket and sell it. I bought one car in particular many years ago that was not as advertised and I ended up hating. I took about a 4k loss, but it was better than spending the money fixing it up and hating it forever.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I would definately suggest taking it somewhere other than his preferred repair shop. When I have sold any or my Range Rover's etc and someone asks me about having it checked out I always tell them that they can have it checked out at the dealership I work at, but just for piece of mind I suggest that they take it to another dealer that is only about 20miles straight north on the highway. Not that anyone would "mistakenly miss" anything at the dealer I work at, but just so the buyer knows he is getting a non-biased 3rd party opinion. Personally I usually have one of our techs (a friend of mine) look things over before I commit to one if it is there at the store for him to see. Otherwise I feel confident in my own judgement looking one over or if the price is really great I will buy one from pics (but the price better be really good).
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you are buying a D90 and trying to save money but do not do your own work it will be very tough.

There are generally two types of successful D90 owners: blank check and shade tree mechanic*

* I am sure some will disagree, but this is about right.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Lesson learned, to be sure. Sucks to have to be so distrusting but..

I'm in over $14k already (purchase, inspections, insurance, transporting, parts, service, etc...). RSTBKT's worth around $2-3k; in parts it's worth a lot more I guess. I can't afford that hit in any way, shape, or form right now. I'm going the legal route and, in the meantime, doing my best to get it operable and fixed to the extent of my abilities. Mechanically the engine is fine, so... it'll run for a while - as it rusts apart. All that's left before getting the frame fixed is the wheel bearings, CV joints, and steering components (drag link, track rod, pan hard bushings...).

(sincerely sorry for any hijack, Mike... boat surveyor's aren't all that hot. I do my own surveys now).
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Ham, It will take time but time will be well spend in researching and finding the one you want and truly be satisfied with. It took me a full year to really find one that i wanted.

some of the trucks i was looking at were being sold right under me. or within days of me buying them! when you find the true one you want and you buy it, the price really wont matter if you go up 2,000-3,000 above your budget, because if its worth that much more to you. don't worry about it, because if it was meant to be it was meant to be....gosh i sound like a Preacher!!!

where do you live in NYC? i'll stop over and you can check out mine and we can talk rovers....which will become your second language soon enough
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

im not trying to save money. i just refuse to pay $45k for a truck that needs another $8k in repairs when I can buy a fully sorted-out one from a dealer for the same price or less. sorry if that was misunderstood.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I was in the same boat as you. I got a lot of internet pics and asked a lot of questions, but bought site unseen. I found two leaky seals, some minor rust starting on the drivers door frame, and some overall neglect. Some learning from the guys on this forum, $400 bucks and a few busted knuckles got it right. I almost feel better that I have learned a lot about the truck. Unfortunately, my rtm lift is on back order until the end of may, so I will have to do a motor transplant in it while I wait as soon as I get the blower done on the c6 this weekend. lol
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Mike I will sell you my 95 for 28k, and if you think it is a piece of shit, then screw you man (sorry couldn't resist)
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham
im not trying to save money. i just refuse to pay $45k for a truck that needs another $8k in repairs when I can buy a fully sorted-out one from a dealer for the same price or less. sorry if that was misunderstood.
most of us would agree with you! trust me, you can find a perfectly nice one for 30k easy. low(ish) mile too!
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Lesson learned, to be sure. Sucks to have to be so distrusting but..
RSTBKT's worth around $2-3k;
Sorry let me get this straight. You have a D90 in the US and you are only in for 14k? Dude you have NOTHING to complain about.

All you guys who want a perfect truck dropped on your doorstep had better be willing to write some fat checks. My experience with LR's is that the mechanic you take it to for inspection doesn't know much about them and EVERYTHING gets tacked onto the list. And with a LR that is going to be a long long list. But most of the items simply don't matter.

I've bought rustbuckets...the guy from Canada said the frame was "good". When I got home I noticed the 3" x 8" hole on top of the chassis raii under the tub. I was pissed off at them until a few months latter when I saw what a "fair" Canadian frame looked like...it didn't have any bottom...and that truck was still running all the trails.

So, try to keep a perspective and think about what you are buying. Actually scratch that. Don't think. Just get the best 90 you can. Sight unseen only if you know what you are doing. Then flog the snot out of it and restore it every 5 years.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

He has a RRC that he has $14k in, not an NAS Defender

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90