Aluminum vs Steal rims - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Aluminum vs Steal rims

I am looking to upgrade my tires/rims. I do about 80% road, 20% off road. And my off-road is nothing serious yet... think Green line at Rausch Creek.

Steel are better for off road because they take a beating, but how do they feel on road compared to aluminum rims? Do they feel the same? Also the rims I was looking at are the new rims that come on the '06 model Defenders. I like the look of those a lot. Does anyone know if I can get them in the states? I assume they would be the same performance as my stock rims now and could crack if the trail get rough enough.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The boost wheels on the newer defenders in England, can be obtained here, they came off some of the 98 and 99 discos. If you spend most of your time on the road, I would stick with the alloy wheels. I actually like the look of the alloys better than the steel wheels. And for most off roading, the alloys work fine. Aside from scratching them, I did not bend or crack any of them.

I have my alloys for the road and a set of steel MRT Beadlocks for off road, then I have the best of both worlds.

Old November 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

thanks Scott. I do thing the alloys look better than the black steel. but thats not saying that the black steel look bad at all, i actually like them, but perfer the alloys. I was looking into a BF mud tire and the boost rims. its good to know they came on some Discos, which will be easier for me to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

If you arn`t too heavy with the off roading, the alloy should be no problem. I run steel, and have driven trucks with alloys with the same tires (BFG MT) and have noticed no difference what so ever on road.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I run alloys at Rausch with out any worries. I have scratched them up though. I now have a set of steelies that I'm running on untill I get a new set of tires for the alloys. I haven't noticed any difference in ride between the two.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

yeah im not to worried about scratching them up. doesn't matter if you have steel or alloy, you're gonna scratch them up if you do some off roadin.

Im sticking with the alloys.
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You shouldn't steal rims.
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
You shouldn't steal rims.
HAHAH, I didnt even see that! Steeeeeeel not Steal.... though stealing alloys would be cheap!
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"can be obtained here, they came off some of the 98 and 99 discos"

Only came on 1998 LSE discos. Rare rim and price reflects availablity in the used market.

Off road alloys are better. I have only severely damaged one (freak accident, came down real hard on a rock that just caught the inside of the bead), and they hold a bead much better than the LR steel or especially the aftermarket steel. If you want cheap, RRC three spokes sell for $25 a wheel and you can get castor alloys for under $40 a wheel.

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
aluminum, rims