Aluminum Fasteners. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Aluminum Fasteners.

Any reason why chequerplate has steel fasteners instead of aluminum? I'd have thought that a non-pure (stronger) alloy fastener would be more than strong enough (especially given that I'll likely be bonding them in place anyway to fill the gaps) given that wing-tops and quarter panels really don't get the kind of abuse that would require strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
mine are held down by alloy pop rivets. skip the adhesive, not required, or wise. you may need or want to remove them at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Any reason why chequerplate has steel fasteners instead of aluminum? I'd have thought that a non-pure (stronger) alloy fastener would be more than strong enough (especially given that I'll likely be bonding them in place anyway to fill the gaps) given that wing-tops and quarter panels really don't get the kind of abuse that would require strength.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Ok, need to put something between though, there is too much flex-gap now, I wanted to use silicone sheeting but that stuff is way too pricy. Guess just running a neoprene seal around the edge would solve crap getting between the two surfaces. I also have a rubberized isolation product I'll coat the bottom of the plate with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah, crap will get in there. not a concern for me. maybe a bead of household latex caulk will seal it up fairly well and be easily removeable should you want to do so. though to really get a perfect seal you'll need alot more rivets, no matter what you use. are you worried about damage to the paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Ok, need to put something between though, there is too much flex-gap now, I wanted to use silicone sheeting but that stuff is way too pricy. Guess just running a neoprene seal around the edge would solve crap getting between the two surfaces. I also have a rubberized isolation product I'll coat the bottom of the plate with.
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I used sided 2 sided tape on mine. the stuff body shops use to attach name plates. dont use silicon you will likley pull the paint off if you ever need to remove them.
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Ah, yeah ideally some silicone tape would probably work best, stuck to the plate and not the paint. I am likely going to also put a paint film on the wings/bonnet edges to protect the paint, mostly I just don't like a gap between the two surfaces. Yeah, I am being a bit anal about things but we all have our quirks

Somehow Paddocks managed to put the arial hole on the wrong wing too, so thinking I will cut one where the am/fm arial goes and sandwich a plate under the wing on the other side and mount the CB/FM 2-way arial on that side.
Thanks for the ideas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
aluminum