Aluminum corrosion, WTF!!?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Aluminum corrosion, WTF!!??

So I started some prelim. dismantling of my truck today to just get some bad bolts out of there and replaced with stainless and to get a good look at some problem areas. I was ripping out the ratty old carpet in the back and under the middle row of seats and this is what I uncovered. Im guessing it's electrolysis? It seems to be only where the aluminum is touching steel.(there are two bolts in there) What can I do to contain it? I am going to replace the panel that is really bad but it is happening in some other corners and I want to stop it before it gets bad. Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	217
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	41636
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:28 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Leave the carpet off? Just joking. Good start with replacing with stainless. Some have also placed either rubber or nylon washers between the stainless and aluminum.
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Make sure you don't let stainless touch aluminum directly

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Amorcoat or galvanized fasteners would be better than stainless. There's too much difference between the anodic index between the aluminum in the panels and stainless. Not quite as much between Al and HDG, and even less between Al and Armorcoat fasteners because their top coat is aluminum.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I think there should be a rule that Land Rovers shouldn't be allowed above the Mason-Dixon line. They last so much better in the south
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Leave the carpet off? Just joking. Good start with replacing with stainless. Some have also placed either rubber or nylon washers between the stainless and aluminum.
Another tip is to wrap electrical tape around the treads to isolate the Al and SS. I did this when I replaced with SS.

Cheers...

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

This is a common problem with boats and they have systems to help minimize it. Anytime you have metal to dis-similar metal contact you will have the potential to have the problem we have with the Rovers. Added to the problem is when you have the metal in a good ground contact. You may find the better the ground contact the more problem you will have. In other words I had a big problem at the rear floor where it connected to the metal support that was directly connected to the frame. Isolation is the key to help minimize the effects of galvanic action. The more paint on the parts and or rubber/plastic isolators will help. Stainless is great but as mentioned above may help facilitate the problem as compared to some other metals. Be careful as stainless is not all made equal as it comes in all types of grades.
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:16 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I have the same problem. Not too bad now, but all the area around the second row bolts as well as some spots on the cargo floor have the corrosion. So how do you treat and stop the corrosion?
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Sounds to me like all you need to do to stop it is isolate the steel to AL connection and paint the crap out of it. Thanks to everyone
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

So just grind away the corrosion to bare metal, isolate metals, and paint?
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Pretty much. I use Nylon washers on both sides of any Al / Fe interface. Religiously. I even found some washers that have a little rib that drops into the hole to protect the panel from the threads on the bolt.
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Pretty much. I use Nylon washers on both sides of any Al / Fe interface. Religiously. I even found some washers that have a little rib that drops into the hole to protect the panel from the threads on the bolt.
Neill:

Where is your preferred source for the nylon washers? Just curious...I haven't typically used these (read: laziness), but probably will going forward or maybe even retroactively on some I've done so far.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
We are very fortunate to have a place called Marshall's Industrial Hardware here in San Diego that is total man project nirvana. Rows and rows and rows of specialized bolts, washers, fittings, you name it. That's where I get everything.

But Grattan Fasteners made the box of nylon washers I have.
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:27 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I just went to my local hardware store and got some. The ones I got are made by Servalite but they come in individual packages of 1. Going to look them up and see if you can get them by the box. I am assuming the nylon is better than rubber.
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

A simple and easy solution is to do what the aircraft industry calls "wet Install" all fasteners that pass thru dis-similar metals. We would also use a sealant between dis-similar metals. The nylon washers referenced above would work as well. An unbroken layer of paint on each of the surfaces will also help.
BTW I'm a Manufacturing Engineer at Lockheed and have a bit of experience with this topic.
Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
aluminum