Aluminium Replica of Fiberglass Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2015, 03:18 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

Aluminium Replica of Fiberglass Top

I'm sure this has been discussed, but a simple search produced nothing relevant...

I would imagine there is a sizable market for a sturdy removable hardtop (preferably made of aluminum) for the ST defenders.

The fiberglass tops are generally all spoken for and are very fragile, but they serve a great function.

I understand development/construction costs would be high but from a technical perspective this has to be feasible, right?
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2015, 03:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Likely far too expensive for a limited market. There's a guy who's been looking for a new condition fiberglass top but has been unwilling to pay the 50% discounted price for one even though it's blue just like his top - an aluminum version would likely be more than 5x more expensive than that. Not saying it's not a good idea, as the stock fiberglass tops are certainly brittle at 20 years old, but likely far too expensive to develop anything that'd be both functional and aesthetically pleasing. With how much effort it takes to install even a fiberglass top, I'd be tempted to just buy one of the many many thousands of regular SW tops, remove my cage, and install the regular SW top for however long I'd like (and at a likely significant discount under what it'd cost to product a custom aluminum top).
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:01 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Likely far too expensive for a limited market. There's a guy who's been looking for a new condition fiberglass top but has been unwilling to pay the 50% discounted price for one even though it's blue just like his top - an aluminum version would likely be more than 5x more expensive than that. Not saying it's not a good idea, as the stock fiberglass tops are certainly brittle at 20 years old, but likely far too expensive to develop anything that'd be both functional and aesthetically pleasing. With how much effort it takes to install even a fiberglass top, I'd be tempted to just buy one of the many many thousands of regular SW tops, remove my cage, and install the regular SW top for however long I'd like (and at a likely significant discount under what it'd cost to product a custom aluminum top).
exactly and what I did. Although many would probably like a more easily removable aluminum top solution, I doubt it can beat the price of sourcing a SW top in this day and age (except from those who seek to take advantage of perceived scarcity and jack up the prices to ridiculous levels).
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2015, 04:25 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Maybe you could modify a Tithonus fiberglass top to work on a ST. They're very sturdy and designed to go over a roll cage albeit not a padded one.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:

Love the passive aggressive digs.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:42 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Ha. Only one. "looking for new. Not willing to pay money"
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:45 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I'd be in for 5 grand. Don't think it can be produced for that. One thing that would be cool: combine the side and corner pieces into one. On my old fiberglass top the metal strip with the studs would always unglue and you would end up with those 2 panels not bound together.

Sliding side windows and a sunroof would be possible too. It would be really cool but I'm not expecting someone to build it for mass sale.

There is d90tops.com who claim to make a superior fiberglass version of the fiberglass top. I've never seen one in person so I can't comment.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:46 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

How would something like this even be engineered?

casting? milled?

I just look at the side panels and can't help but think there must be a relatively inexpensive way to replicate it.

Hell even 3d printing?

It's not like the top is structural in nature. It's just a way to keep the weather out.
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Ha. Only one. "looking for new. Not willing to pay money"

HA Awesome!
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:51 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Hahaha, thanks for the plug you just need my user name in there someplace. If the fiberglass tops weren't so brittle I would pony up, but to pay a lot for something that may crack wide open, I can't. The other top likely needs to be painted and may never match, the blue looks almost purple from the pics posted. If it were such a deal it would be gone. Last Arles SW top I saw was 5K from Mark and I still would need a rear door. I'll probably just end up trading my ST for a SW. But thanks for your continued concern.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:53 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
There is d90tops.com who claim to make a superior fiberglass version of the fiberglass top. I've never seen one in person so I can't comment.
This is very much along the lines of what I'm talking about...

Clearly replicas can be done!

My thinking is that a very conservative estimate would be 500 sales at $3000 a piece for a removable aluminum top.

Especially it the frame were made with via casting I would imagine there has got to be a way to develop something for under $750,000. Obviously windows and gaskets (and install time for them) would need to be included... but assuming the conservative estimates above someone should be able to recoup all of their costs and probably even take a little off the top.

Perhaps I'm too naive
Old May 12th, 2015, 04:59 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Hahaha, thanks for the plug you just need my user name in there someplace. If the fiberglass tops weren't so brittle I would pony up, but to pay a lot for something that may crack wide open, I can't. The other top likely needs to be painted and may never match, the blue looks almost purple from the pics posted. If it were such a deal it would be gone. Last Arles SW top I saw was 5K from Mark and I still would need a rear door. I'll probably just end up trading my ST for a SW. But thanks for your continued concern.
it's not gone yet because it's Arles and arles owners are typically "frugal"/"cheap" individuals (just look at Barry). the d90tops fiberglass ones I'd referenced above are reinforced in the shitty areas which makes them superior to the stock ones. They're also more expensive than the stock crappy ones because they're being produced in much smaller numbers than the original NAS ones were therefore not achieving any sort of economies of scale. Sure it may crack wide open, but not for 20 years, which will likely be far past your ownership.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:05 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Aluminium Replica of Fiberglass Top

D90top is way over $3k if you add sunroof, sliding windows, alpine window, color match and then to ship it to you in one piece.
As I mentioned, ignoring those seeking to squeeze you for last dime, one can find more reasonable sources with patience.
There's no way to easily and cost effectively ship an aluminum top with its sides on.
Can you imagine the size of the crate to do that????
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have seen one of the D90 tops in person. Seemed nice. Guy who had it said his diagonals didnt fit with top on. Not sure if that issue has been fixed but I assume it has. As for the blue one. The sides need to be painted. Its really not that much when you think about it. Take the glass out and it is literally nothing. You could easily respray them yourself or if you are worried have the entire top painted black.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
D90top is way over $3k if you add roof, sliding windows, alpine window, color match and then to ship it to you in one piece.
It is $4600 as shown on their site.

No way in hell you would ever sell 500 units, IMO. If you sold 10 to 20 a year, I would be surprised.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:44 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is $4600 as shown on their site.

No way in hell you would ever sell 500 units, IMO. If you sold 10 to 20 a year, I would be surprised.
I wonder how many units Badger sells in a year...

I could be wrong, but a great top is a known issue for defender owners.

Sure the market isn't huge, but I'm also not talking about doing this to turn a massive profit.

I just think there is demand (both recognized and unrecognized) and that no current solution is perfect.

Moreover, the best thing going for Defender vendors is that NAS d-90 owners typically love their vehicles and have the $$ to buy larger ticket items.

As the years go on I would imagine the desire/market for a aluminum removable top will only increase.

Not saying you are wrong, but over a 5-6 year span I could see several hundred unit get sold, contingent on the execution being damn near perfect ( a la BCW).
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:51 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
21 years and waiting....
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:55 PM
huibae
Harold Lee
Jon Snow Badge 1122

Registry
Quote:
D90top is way over $3k if you add sunroof, sliding windows, alpine window, color match and then to ship it to you in one piece. As I mentioned, ignoring those seeking to squeeze you for last dime, one can find more reasonable sources with patience. There's no way to easily and cost effectively ship an aluminum top with its sides on. Can you imagine the size of the crate to do that????
My d90top is only $2500!!!
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:55 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Wow you still have it????!!!!!
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:59 PM
huibae
Harold Lee
Jon Snow Badge 1122

Registry
Quote:
Wow you still have it????!!!!!
Yeah - have an inbox full of inquiries but no one pulled the trigger.

I'm gonna take it off this weekend as Indiana Spring is calling for a topless weekend drive.

Anyone interested in it, PM me. $2500 and ta all yours. That's my bottom dollar as I'll keep it and put it back in for the winter I suppose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass, top