alternator wiring on a 94 D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Kelby Saxton
1994 Defender 90
alternator wiring on a 94 D-90

Over Memorial day weekend I took my Defender to southern Utah and did the Hole in the rock trail, it was amazing, I had just got my rig back from Great Basin Rovers where I had 4.14 gears and ARB air locker installed. Thing were going amazing, the rocks the Defender my family. Then I smelled something hot. Of course it could not be coming from my truck, but it was. My ignition coil blew up and melted all over and I was dead 25 miles in to the trail. We traced it back to the alternator overcharging. Luckly for me there were some good friends and some good folks in Jeeps that lent a hand and got me home on a borrowed Jeep coil and running on battery power. So now I need help with the wiring connections on my alternator and coil. I had to do some McGyvering ie cutting and splicing to get me home, and now I want my Defender back to normal not all jeeped up. If anyone has pictures of the connectors on their alternator, or would be willing to call me and describe the connectors on their truck I would be one very gratefull dude.

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
I PMed you my cell. Anytime after about 8 or 9pm est and you can call me and I will walk you through it. BTW, are you sure it was not excessive dwell angle caused by a bad ignition module? This was a common problem before they relocated the ignition module away from the dizzy and next to the coil.

*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, alternator, d-90, wiring