Alternator wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2005, 03:38 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

Alternator wiring

I have temporaily given up on my Mean Green alternator, the units seens to vibrate badly at mid RPM. I the mean time I am trying to revert back to my stock ( newly rebuilt) alternator and I don't remember which wire goes to which termilnal.. The large brown wire is the battery and there is only one terminal on the alternator that is large enough for it so that one is solved, the white and grey is the tach and has a female spade and the alternator only has one spade so that one seems OK.. The problem is with the small brown and yellow wire.. I have two open terminals on the altenator one looks like it is marke3d with a "W" and the other has a " B+" which one does it connect to and what does it do?

Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Does the alt look like this

I have a question about the MG install; my friend is trying to install one on his 95 D90. He tells me that the pulley touches the rad hose and that he had to grind down the tension bracket. Did you have to do the same? Did you get any instructions with your alternator? He did not. Also, do you recall what the belt part # is?

Thanks.
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:58 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

No instructions for the install and it is no where near the hose. I did have to shorte the tensioning bracket slightly to make it work and I am using the factory belt.. The proble I had with mine is the unit vibrates pretyy bad at abot 2.5k rpm.. I spoke with MG several times and they didn't have any suggestions.. The adator bracket broke about a 8 weeks ago leaving me standed in the snow and they sent me a new bracket and a new front to the housing taht is cast rather than machined.. I stalled the alt with the new bracket and the vibration still is there so I am trying go back to the factory unit to eliminat one question mark before I head out on a long trip in about two weeks.. I am hoping to get some machine shop time after that and make a new adaptor taht will drop it in teh factory mounting point..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 04:10 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

has anyone had a good experience with a mg alternator ?i dont think i have seen one yet! was going to purchase one,may have to rethink just going oem?sorry to chang the topic!

Follow-up Post:

tom-what does the small brown wire have on it a female spade or an o ring type on it?mine has the o ring type.
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Chris Davis has a mean green alt.

Follow-up Post:

Chris Davis has a mean green alt.
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

My small brown wire has a ring terminal only the white (tach ?? ) has the spade

Follow-up Post:

In an earlier thread there was a guy in Colorado... Boulder I think, that has a MG that he says works great.. I swapped a couple of e-mail with him and was goinfg to go check out the alternator and install but never got around to it.. MG in general makes excellent products. I have had their Alternator and starter in my '69 Bronco for a few years and they have never been a problem. With the defender application I just don't think they did the R/D before shipping them out.. The two problems with mine are 1) the adaptor bracket which is no more that two pieces of flat bar with two holes drilled in them and two round spacers( which no matter how I tried to position them they didn't seen to fit). I think that this configuration is not rigid enough to be stable with that level of mass.. 2) the unit came with the wrong width of pulley.. ( While talking to them they didn't seem to know that there were differances with the differant years of Defenders and Disco's.. My last go around with them they shipped me a new fron section for the alternator, I am hoping that with this installed and a new rear mounting point the unit will located better and the vibration will go away?? I will let you know..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator, wiring