Alternator wire - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2006, 01:18 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I found this one too.
http://www.donrowe.com/accessories/fuse_anl.html

Will this be fine to use for the winch too?
It looks like the Alternator is 100 amps, so I will just get a 200 fuse for it.
For the winch though, it appears that it can pull something like 460 amps if heavy loaded. I don't know but it might be good to get the 500 amp fuse for it.
I have been searching but it does not appear that many people are fusing their winches. Or, at least they are not posting about it.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2006, 06:43 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Davis,

you weren't making me feel like a dickhead....I do that all by myself............but thanks.

I've been wiring in a small battery cutoff switch in the winch solenoid box, or close by if it has a built in solenoid. That way you could at least shut the thing off.

Would a circuit breaker work better than a fuse for the winch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Okay, all I can track down locally is a 100 amp fuse and holder. I was thinking that since the original went through the 100 amp fuse in the truck, I should be okay running the 4 gauge wire through another 100 amp fuse. After all, I didn't change anything but the gauge of the wire.
Is that a correct assumption?
I bought another 100 amp for the winch, but I will wait for Davis to reply about the correct fuse size for it.
Warn recommended this:
http://www.warn.com/truck/accessorie...nterrupt.shtml

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

You will be safe with the 100 amp fuse for the alternator. Always carry a spare fuse since not everyone carries them. The power interrupt kit is a nice accessory if you want a switch to control the winch. What I use is a marine dual battery switch like this: http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
You can get them just about anywhere that sells marine stuff like a bass pro outlet or any marine store. You could also go even cheaper and get: http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-41860 but again, these are not overload devices, they are just battery cut outs. For the marine one, I have the battery on one leg, the winch on the other. That way, when I am not wheeling, I just have the battery connected and the truck runs. When I wheel, I put it to 1+2 and now the battery and winch are both connected. When I turn it off, the battery, winch are both completely isolated from the vehicle.

The relay that you show is just that--an electronic way to switch the winch on and off. It is slick, just expensive. They have nothing to do with a fuse. IMHO, you need to have either a switch or a fuse in case you every short the power cable to the winch. 100A is not big enough for the winch--I am not sure any fuse is, but I would have to use something like a 300 A or more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator