Alternator swap wiring questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:06 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Alternator swap wiring questions

1983 110 with 4 wires going to it from the factory harness. It now has a 1991 RRC Alternator. The 2 larger wires I get they go to the output on the alternator.

The other two however are the question mark for me. Looking at the wiring diagram for the 110 it only shows 3 wires. 2 larger going back to the 12 volt hub and one running to a switched circuit. Not sure what the hell the 4th wire is for. (alt is #75 in the diagram up in the top right corner).

If I remember RRC alternator class with Trevor it needs a 12 volt switched signal to energize the alternator. So I'm guessing that wire would go to the spade connector for that. I'm going to confirm it goes hot with the key on in the morning.

So does anyone know what the 4th wire is for? If it's just another switched wire I can tie them together great if not I need to figure out where to hook it up.

I attached the wiring diagram so that the smart people can tell me where I'm going wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf page 610.pdf (95.9 KB, 52 views)

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, my first suggestion would be to dig up that same wiring schematic for the RRC that the Alternator is out of. It should show the fourth wire and where it goes. From there you can determine if it is switched 12+ or ground or whatever it might be...
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:42 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Sorry the 4th wire is on the 110 not the RRC Alternator. It seems clear in my head when I'm typing it lol

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

From what I can tell there are three coming off the 110 Alternator, there is are two Brown wires that go to the starter and a Brown with Yellow Tracer that goes to fuse 38. I think I'm confused about something...
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Join the club according to the wiring diagram I agree completely but there is the 4th wire and I have no clue what the hell it's there for lol.

I'm just going to leave it disconnected and see what doesn't work lol.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:31 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Brown/yellow is for the charge warning light only(or ALT light or whatever, but should illuminate on startup and go out quickly thereafter)
Could you tell us what color the wire is that is in question? If it's brown or brown with a secondary tracer it is an always hot feed to something. White would be for a tach signal.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'll have to look tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it was a small all brown wire.

I hooked up just the 3 today and everything is working and charging. So far so good (fingers crossed)

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator, wiring