Alternator recommendation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 8th, 2015, 12:07 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

Alternator recommendation

I need a new alternator for my rhd 3.5 v8. Anyone have a recommendation, part number?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

So I have a Mean Green and it has been awesome and puts out tons of juice (around 200A, I believe). But when you look closely at it, it really appears in all ways to be as delco cs144 alternator which is a super common alternator. Go pull one from a junk yard and for pretty darn cheap you can get new brushes, rectifier, and even a heavy duty diode pack. Here are their part numbers that I used on mine: Brushes BWD #X393. HD Bridge rectifier Transpo #7179 or Wai 5179, Regulator Transpo #D411XHD . (I think there may be two CS144 styles, old and new--you'd have to do a little research but mine is the "new" style and that is the one I ordered brushes for. I don't know the differences, but I think it is just the way the brushes are held in. So make sure you double check my part numbers for your make, which ever you find. Bearings are super cheap too, so replace them as well and you have a new alternator for the most part.

This way you will get a 180-205A alternator what, $25 at a pull/parts place, you will drop maybe $50 on new electrics and bearings (since it is out of the truck anyway, why not...) and have a very powerful alternator for $75. You will have to make a correct bracket and use washers (or mill a spacer) to get it perfectly positioned, but that is a super simple job even with just a drill, 2 pieces of flat steel, a hacksaw and a file (or hopefully "easier tools" but this can be super basic. I'll grab a photo on my current engine which is crank pump/serp belt. If you have V-belt, it will work too as I ran this on my last engine, just different spacers...

One last thing--when I changed my rectifier (part number above) I chose one with a slightly higher charge voltage which pairs well with my AGM Odyssey battery. So you may want a little lower voltage, maybe below 15, for yours--your choice. Just want to be thorough since I started pulling part numbers here...

Let me know if you want to see a pic. I may have one from when it was v-belt too...
Old November 8th, 2015, 01:30 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I have an Action Alternator 140amp - great unit
Just call them and they can customize it for you to fit your setup
Home - action alternator and starter

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2015, 03:01 PM
usadventureracing
Brett

Thanks i am going to call the company in utah on Monday. This the sicker on mine looks to be from 2001

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447012852309.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	134221

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions