Alternator pulley, easy off? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:15 PM
GuamPilot's Avatar
GuamPilot
Status: Offline
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guam & San Bruno
Posts: 605
Registry
Alternator pulley, easy off?

My alternator which was just repaired in September has crapped out again.

I took it to a local electrical shop in Illinois and now I'm in Reno so there is no help to be had from that shop. I need to be on the road Sunday.

After calling a number of the national chain parts stores, O'Reilly's said they can deliver one early Saturday morning.

Great!

Except it does not include the pulley.

I have a useful, but small collection of hand tools. How hard will it be to remove the pulley from the old alternator and tighten it on the new one?

Any tricks? No, I don't have a big vice.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:20 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
Seen a Youtube of a guy just using a shop rag to hold the pulley with his hand while taking an air gun to the nut holding the pulley to the alternator. Seem to come off easy peezy.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:24 PM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,394
I have an alternator for sale in the classified section. I can FedEx it with my ID tomorrow if that helps. It worked fine when I pulled it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:33 PM
GuamPilot's Avatar
GuamPilot
Status: Offline
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guam & San Bruno
Posts: 605
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Seen a Youtube of a guy just using a shop rag to hold the pulley with his hand while taking an air gun to the nut holding the pulley to the alternator. Seem to come off easy peezy.
I've thought of that. Nope, don't have a compressor or impact gun.

O'Reilly's doesn't do installations. But there is a Pep Boys Service across the street.

Mike

------ Follow up post added November 28th, 2015 01:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I have an alternator for sale in the classified section. I can FedEx it with my ID tomorrow if that helps. It worked fine when I pulled it.
Thanks for the offer. But the earliest it could get here is Monday and I must be on the road Sunday. I can find a shop to change the pulley tomorrow.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:39 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Yep..usually a 15/16 nut from memory...comes off real easy with an air gun and goes back on just as easy... I have, in a pinch, held the pulley and given the wrench a hit with a hammer, or block of wood... Or try undoing the pulley nut before you take the belt off a quick rap with a bit of wood on the wrench usually is all it needs.. Same to do it back up...just make sure the wrench doesn't fly off and go into the rad..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:32 AM
cowboy
Status: Offline
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 717
Small world - i have one coming from O'Reillys tomorrow also, but for my RRC. I ordered a Hammerhead 7.5 amp electric impact wrench (HDIW075) from Amazon to tighten the pulley onto my first one that I bought in a weekend pinch from O'Reilly's (which the one tomorrow is replacing). Harbor Freight's Impact Socket Set #67899 had a socket that fit. So, if Pep Boys doesn't come thru, you might try to buy a wrench with comparable specs from Harbor Freight or Sears tomorrow. My interpretation of what a guy at an alt shop told me at the time re diy pulley installs: plug it in (in your hotel room? - or maybe @ O's?), kneel, hold the alt between your knees, press down hard on the pulley with one hand & run the wrench with the other. Then do it again, but harder. Same sort of method worked to remove one of my own successful pulley installs also, but I suppose it's possible that some factory or shop installs are Mission Impossible to remove. Worked for me, anyway, just don't make big plans for your 1 year anniversary with the O'Reillys alternator...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:39 AM
GuamPilot's Avatar
GuamPilot
Status: Offline
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guam & San Bruno
Posts: 605
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Small world - i have one coming from O'Reillys tomorrow also, but for my RRC. I ordered a Hammerhead 7.5 amp electric impact wrench (HDIW075) from Amazon to tighten the pulley onto my first one that I bought in a weekend pinch from O'Reilly's (which the one tomorrow is replacing). Harbor Freight's Impact Socket Set #67899 had a socket that fit. So, if Pep Boys doesn't come thru, you might try to buy a wrench with comparable specs from Harbor Freight or Sears tomorrow. My interpretation of what a guy at an alt shop told me at the time re diy pulley installs: plug it in (in your hotel room? - or maybe @ O's?), kneel, hold the alt between your knees, press down hard on the pulley with one hand & run the wrench with the other. Then do it again, but harder. Same sort of method worked to remove one of my own successful pulley installs also, but I suppose it's possible that some factory or shop installs are Mission Impossible to remove. Worked for me, anyway, just don't make big plans for your 1 year anniversary with the O'Reillys alternator...
So you don't have long term confidence in O'Reilly's alternators? Instead of turning my old one in for the $25 core, I'm going to send it back to the shop that "rebuilt" in it September, have them honor their warranty then keep it as a backup.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Ignotus
Status: Offline
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 401
I just put a screwdriver into the alternator fan to keep it from turning and removed/replaced the nut, when I swapped mine.
__________________
Gene
1960 109
1960 88 Ignotus
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:31 PM
cowboy
Status: Offline
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
So you don't have long term confidence in O'Reilly's alternators? Instead of turning my old one in for the $25 core, I'm going to send it back to the shop that "rebuilt" in it September, have them honor their warranty then keep it as a backup.

Mike
No, zero confidence. It's more about the lifetime warranty & locations, hours, weekends, etc. I feel you on the failed "rebuild", too. Definitely a topic to stalk & hunt down the best alternator source for your rig if you're in it for the long run. In the meantime, you have at least one spare-for-a-lifetime, & it's replaceable 7 days & evenings/week in outposts like Gallup, NM & Winslow, AZ as well as many urban areas.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:16 PM
GuamPilot's Avatar
GuamPilot
Status: Offline
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guam & San Bruno
Posts: 605
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
No, zero confidence. It's more about the lifetime warranty & locations, hours, weekends, etc. I feel you on the failed "rebuild", too. Definitely a topic to stalk & hunt down the best alternator source for your rig if you're in it for the long run. In the meantime, you have at least one spare-for-a-lifetime, & it's replaceable 7 days & evenings/week in outposts like Gallup, NM & Winslow, AZ as well as many urban areas.
We drove through Rachel, NV Wednesday night. Now that is remote!

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:38 PM
xplorUtah's Avatar
xplorUtah
Status: Offline
Andrew P
1960 SII
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 1,134
Registry
Harbor Freight electric impact? IIRC That is how I did mine.
__________________
1960 Series II "Pliny"
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:51 PM
GuamPilot's Avatar
GuamPilot
Status: Offline
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guam & San Bruno
Posts: 605
Registry
Shout out to Auto and Truck Electric!

So, O'Reilly's had the alternator Saturday morning as promised.

Except it was broken.

And it was the wrong one. Money back, no argument.

Friday while I was calling around looking for an alternator someone suggested calling "Auto and Truck Electric" of Sparks, NV. When I called he said he couldn't help me then, "but call back Saturday after 10 and I can rebuild it in 3 hours." I went with O'Reilly's as I could get on the road sooner and I had my doubts about rebuilding my alternator which was just rebuilt 2 months ago!

After O'Reilly's finished my refund I called Bob. "Be at my shop in half an hour." Okay, I needed to take Uber because Pep Boys had my old alternator out and I couldn't drive the Defender.

Bob bench tested the old alternator and yep, it's putting out nothing. He rummages around his shop and finds a brand new alternator! A little work to match the pulley and we are out the door. Bob even gave us a ride back to Pep Boys.

So, the 2 days we had programmed to relax in Reno were mostly spent at Pep Boys. (Not a shot at Pep Boys, Patrick and the others were working hard.)

Did I mention that Auto and Truck Electric is not open on Saturday? THANK YOU Bob! You really saved my bacon.

And if anyone is close to Reno/Sparks and needs alternator or starter work, Bob is the classic good guy! 775-359-6584 or 800-577-6584

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 29th, 2015, 01:25 AM
GuamPilot's Avatar
GuamPilot
Status: Offline
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guam & San Bruno
Posts: 605
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Bummer I didn't know sooner, I'm just over the hill, although I'm out of town.

-Jeff
Over which hill? I expect to be coming back, we want to get to know this area better.

Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator, pulley

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need dual pulley for Lucas alternator cdb Wanted 4 October 9th, 2014 06:21 PM
Wtb: alternator pulley defender diesel Jaded-7 Wanted 2 September 11th, 2014 07:29 AM
Anyone have an alternator pulley and a harmonic balancer they can measure? Turbofan Defender Technical Discussions 0 October 21st, 2011 10:35 PM
Alternator pulley JFD Defender Technical Discussions 0 September 21st, 2009 07:49 AM
Adding a 2nd alternator pulley Jackd Defender Technical Discussions 5 September 11th, 2009 10:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Copyright