Alternator pulley, easy off? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:15 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Alternator pulley, easy off?

My alternator which was just repaired in September has crapped out again.

I took it to a local electrical shop in Illinois and now I'm in Reno so there is no help to be had from that shop. I need to be on the road Sunday.

After calling a number of the national chain parts stores, O'Reilly's said they can deliver one early Saturday morning.

Great!

Except it does not include the pulley.

I have a useful, but small collection of hand tools. How hard will it be to remove the pulley from the old alternator and tighten it on the new one?

Any tricks? No, I don't have a big vice.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:20 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Seen a Youtube of a guy just using a shop rag to hold the pulley with his hand while taking an air gun to the nut holding the pulley to the alternator. Seem to come off easy peezy.
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:24 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have an alternator for sale in the classified section. I can FedEx it with my ID tomorrow if that helps. It worked fine when I pulled it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:33 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Seen a Youtube of a guy just using a shop rag to hold the pulley with his hand while taking an air gun to the nut holding the pulley to the alternator. Seem to come off easy peezy.
I've thought of that. Nope, don't have a compressor or impact gun.

O'Reilly's doesn't do installations. But there is a Pep Boys Service across the street.

Mike

------ Follow up post added November 28th, 2015 01:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I have an alternator for sale in the classified section. I can FedEx it with my ID tomorrow if that helps. It worked fine when I pulled it.
Thanks for the offer. But the earliest it could get here is Monday and I must be on the road Sunday. I can find a shop to change the pulley tomorrow.

Mike
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:39 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yep..usually a 15/16 nut from memory...comes off real easy with an air gun and goes back on just as easy... I have, in a pinch, held the pulley and given the wrench a hit with a hammer, or block of wood... Or try undoing the pulley nut before you take the belt off a quick rap with a bit of wood on the wrench usually is all it needs.. Same to do it back up...just make sure the wrench doesn't fly off and go into the rad..
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:32 AM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Small world - i have one coming from O'Reillys tomorrow also, but for my RRC. I ordered a Hammerhead 7.5 amp electric impact wrench (HDIW075) from Amazon to tighten the pulley onto my first one that I bought in a weekend pinch from O'Reilly's (which the one tomorrow is replacing). Harbor Freight's Impact Socket Set #67899 had a socket that fit. So, if Pep Boys doesn't come thru, you might try to buy a wrench with comparable specs from Harbor Freight or Sears tomorrow. My interpretation of what a guy at an alt shop told me at the time re diy pulley installs: plug it in (in your hotel room? - or maybe @ O's?), kneel, hold the alt between your knees, press down hard on the pulley with one hand & run the wrench with the other. Then do it again, but harder. Same sort of method worked to remove one of my own successful pulley installs also, but I suppose it's possible that some factory or shop installs are Mission Impossible to remove. Worked for me, anyway, just don't make big plans for your 1 year anniversary with the O'Reillys alternator...
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:39 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Small world - i have one coming from O'Reillys tomorrow also, but for my RRC. I ordered a Hammerhead 7.5 amp electric impact wrench (HDIW075) from Amazon to tighten the pulley onto my first one that I bought in a weekend pinch from O'Reilly's (which the one tomorrow is replacing). Harbor Freight's Impact Socket Set #67899 had a socket that fit. So, if Pep Boys doesn't come thru, you might try to buy a wrench with comparable specs from Harbor Freight or Sears tomorrow. My interpretation of what a guy at an alt shop told me at the time re diy pulley installs: plug it in (in your hotel room? - or maybe @ O's?), kneel, hold the alt between your knees, press down hard on the pulley with one hand & run the wrench with the other. Then do it again, but harder. Same sort of method worked to remove one of my own successful pulley installs also, but I suppose it's possible that some factory or shop installs are Mission Impossible to remove. Worked for me, anyway, just don't make big plans for your 1 year anniversary with the O'Reillys alternator...
So you don't have long term confidence in O'Reilly's alternators? Instead of turning my old one in for the $25 core, I'm going to send it back to the shop that "rebuilt" in it September, have them honor their warranty then keep it as a backup.

Mike
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

I just put a screwdriver into the alternator fan to keep it from turning and removed/replaced the nut, when I swapped mine.
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:31 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
So you don't have long term confidence in O'Reilly's alternators? Instead of turning my old one in for the $25 core, I'm going to send it back to the shop that "rebuilt" in it September, have them honor their warranty then keep it as a backup.

Mike
No, zero confidence. It's more about the lifetime warranty & locations, hours, weekends, etc. I feel you on the failed "rebuild", too. Definitely a topic to stalk & hunt down the best alternator source for your rig if you're in it for the long run. In the meantime, you have at least one spare-for-a-lifetime, & it's replaceable 7 days & evenings/week in outposts like Gallup, NM & Winslow, AZ as well as many urban areas.
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:16 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
No, zero confidence. It's more about the lifetime warranty & locations, hours, weekends, etc. I feel you on the failed "rebuild", too. Definitely a topic to stalk & hunt down the best alternator source for your rig if you're in it for the long run. In the meantime, you have at least one spare-for-a-lifetime, & it's replaceable 7 days & evenings/week in outposts like Gallup, NM & Winslow, AZ as well as many urban areas.
We drove through Rachel, NV Wednesday night. Now that is remote!

Mike
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:38 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Harbor Freight electric impact? IIRC That is how I did mine.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 28th, 2015, 10:51 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Shout out to Auto and Truck Electric!

So, O'Reilly's had the alternator Saturday morning as promised.

Except it was broken.

And it was the wrong one. Money back, no argument.

Friday while I was calling around looking for an alternator someone suggested calling "Auto and Truck Electric" of Sparks, NV. When I called he said he couldn't help me then, "but call back Saturday after 10 and I can rebuild it in 3 hours." I went with O'Reilly's as I could get on the road sooner and I had my doubts about rebuilding my alternator which was just rebuilt 2 months ago!

After O'Reilly's finished my refund I called Bob. "Be at my shop in half an hour." Okay, I needed to take Uber because Pep Boys had my old alternator out and I couldn't drive the Defender.

Bob bench tested the old alternator and yep, it's putting out nothing. He rummages around his shop and finds a brand new alternator! A little work to match the pulley and we are out the door. Bob even gave us a ride back to Pep Boys.

So, the 2 days we had programmed to relax in Reno were mostly spent at Pep Boys. (Not a shot at Pep Boys, Patrick and the others were working hard.)

Did I mention that Auto and Truck Electric is not open on Saturday? THANK YOU Bob! You really saved my bacon.

And if anyone is close to Reno/Sparks and needs alternator or starter work, Bob is the classic good guy! 775-359-6584 or 800-577-6584

Mike
Old November 29th, 2015, 01:25 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Bummer I didn't know sooner, I'm just over the hill, although I'm out of town.

-Jeff
Over which hill? I expect to be coming back, we want to get to know this area better.

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator, pulley