Alternator problem, maybe?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:27 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Alternator problem, maybe??

So my battery light came on and I took my battery in to see if the local napa could tell me if it were good or not. After a 50 min test in a machine it came out fine. So my problem now is that it must not be getting recharged so I am guessing it is the alternator.

My question is how do I check if it is the alternator. I know how to check on a gas engine but mine is a 300tdi so it does not need the alternator to keep running.... at least that is my understanding. What other ways can I check if the alternator is faulty.

Also I did do the hella twin horn replacement and wired those in before this happened... could there be a relay gone or a fuse maybe too... I really dont feel like doing the alternator in these beautiful Chicago weather conditions

thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do you get 14.X volts when running? If it is not charging you will get 12ish. I did an alternator swap in my LWB in two feet of snow. It was horrible.
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Use a multimeter to check voltage at cigare lighter and at alternator, to check for significant loss. To be on the safe side you should be above 13.5, above 14 would be even better. If you're low you may have some burnt diodes inside alternator. Make a search, there are plenty theads on this particular matter on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:25 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Thanks guys for the responses. I quickly posted before I had to head back after lunch so now I have time to look through the forum for similar topics.

Just to clarify, on the back of the alternator I should see two wires and measure the voltage of those and then at the cig lighter to see the difference between the two...??? I figured if the alternator was toast it would not have any output
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:12 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Check voltage between alternator positive and the chassis (or engine) which is the negative of you electrical system. At the cigare lighter, check between center of cigare lighter plug and the outside ring. You should have slightly different readings, but the most important is how many volts you are getting at alternator output.
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

awesome, yea I will get my buddies volt meter. I do need to purchase on of these for myself...

Thanks very much for the info
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Multimeters are $5-10 at Walmart for one that works fine.
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:22 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Noise signal filter thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
So my battery light came on... how do I check if it is the alternator.
Andrew:
Check if there is a noise filter on the back of your alternator.
Most look like a black rectangle with a wire attached to one of the alternator leads.
These things short out and prevent the alternator from charging, so you'll want to test the voltage with it connected and disconnected.
If you have the 2 lug connections it will generally connect to the last lug that sometimes has a spade connection as well.

This is also worth reading:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42232

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Andrew:
Check if there is a noise filter on the back of your alternator.
Most look like a black rectangle with a wire attached to one of the alternator leads.
These things short out and prevent the alternator from charging, so you'll want to test the voltage with it connected and disconnected.
If you have the 2 lug connections it will generally connect to the last lug that sometimes has a spade connection as well.

This is also worth reading:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42232
Thanks for the extra info! I've been super busy and not been home while the sun was up and have not had the chance to check it out. Hopefully I can get back before it gets too dark to see whats going on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator