Alternator power requirement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Alternator power requirement

I've read looked through many of previous posts about electrical issues and found nothing addressing this question. So, I decided to upgrade my alternator because I intend to install a winch. Delco Remy has a 180 or 200 amp model that I'm considering. The 180 amp puts out something like 145 amps at idle speeds which sounds real good to me since the 200 tdi is not a high revving engine. Before buying though I'm wondering if the thing requires more torque to turn than can be provided by the v-belt used on the 200tdi. Is that a legitimate concern or am I being overly cautious?
And, if I put that alternator on, am I going to need to rewire the charging circuit too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Regards the v belt question, I think it will be OK. You could do a double belt if it becomes an issue.

Regards the wiring, maybe. The feed to the fuse box(es) is fine, the rest of the truck isn't going to draw more amps just because they are there. I've had some semi-heated discussions about this issue, and I stand my ground -- required wire size is determined by the load, not the supply. Otherwise the entire vehicle wiring system would need to be 10awg.

The feed to the battery, maybe. Your winch wiring will come off of a battery. Whatever circuit you have to feed the battery and the winch needs to be able to carry the load the winch will put on it.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No concern with the motor turning it. Not sure about the wiring.
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

do you have a specific part number for those alts? I couldn't find them or a source
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:29 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Since posting I spoke with a tech from the place selling them and he advised the same.
I suppose it would be smart to replace the wires that come from the alternator to handle the rated power. Don't need any electrical fires. Any ideas about what gauge is needed to handle 180 amps?
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
nopants
Joe
1985 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDef View Post
Since posting I spoke with a tech from the place selling them and he advised the same.
I suppose it would be smart to replace the wires that come from the alternator to handle the rated power. Don't need any electrical fires. Any ideas about what gauge is needed to handle 180 amps?
Depends on the distance of the run. Up to 4ft with 180amps you are fine with 4ga. It won't hurt anything to upsize, but no need to go crazy with it.

I am also interested in a part number for this uprated alternator. I would like to fit a higher capacity unit to run my fridge, aftermarket lights, etc.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:00 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

I don't remember the part number but the alternator is a Delco Remy model 28si. Elreg is the company on the web that I found that has them in stock. Hope that helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator