Defender Source Forum banner

Alternator Conversion for CHEAP

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  JakeW 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Couldn't find anything in the search on this alternator conversion idea at d-90. Found the info I wanted at the following site: http://rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/electrical/boschalternator.html . Didn't want to pay the $850 for a new alternator for my 90 and also was not too stoked on the prospect of buying a rebuilt one for $250. Found a used alternator at car-parts.com that is located in Utah for $25 and plan on ordering it tomorrow. Its the 120A bosch out of a 95 passat. Nice thing is that these alternators are rebuildable by us and there is a link on the rangerovers tech article that takes you to the how-to site. I'll take some pics and let anyone interested know how it works. I'm very excited!

-Jake

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I was thinking the same thing. As soon as my alternator craps out I'm going for a something simple and plentiful and cheap. Fabricate up a mount and you should be good to go. I Cant see any reason to pay over $100 for a alternator when you can buy a 100 amp from Summit or similar place for much less.

#12 ·
Judging from your list of vehicles you own you can afford a new MM alternator. I have done several low budget fixes on my truck that have worked out well, maybe a few that haven't. The nice thing about a AC Delco conversion is their availability just about everywhere, and at a much lower price.

#13 ·
Hello again!
Just a quick follow up - got the alternator ordered on Saturday and will ship UPS today. As I live in Western Colorado I expect it to arrive this week from central Utah. Thanks for the replies and suggestions, everyone! I chose this option not only to save money, but also because after doing the research it seems that it is the best one. One of the biggest benefits to converting to the VW alternator is that if it does go south I won't have to deal with the time or expense of giving it to someone else to be repaired. Additionally if it craps out when I'm in Moab or someplace I won't be stranded there while my $850 Genuine gets overnight shipped to my hotel room. While the repair would still theoretically be completed in the parking lot someplace, I can just go get the parts I need for the alternator at NAPA or CarQuest and have it over and done with time to go back out wheeling. I'll definitely be letting you all know how this works out, though - either way. If it turns out to be a horrible option, at least I'm only out $35 after shipping and everyone will know how not to do it!

#14 ·
Quick update. It's Friday and UPS hasn't managed to get my 3ish pound alternator delivered yet. I guess 200 miles takes over 5 business days now. Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten to post, there's just nothing to post about.

#15 ·
Alright! Got the alternator this evening and already changed the pulleys out. Took a bunch of pictures before I did anything though to have befores that compare both alternators. Will do a write up tomorrow evening when I post pictures of everything out and then installed. So far it has been easier than anticipated, the pulleys have the same diameter holes so no changes had to be made, and the nuts came right off with a battery impact!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.