Alternator Connection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Alternator Connection

Would someone mind giving me a little guidance on the proper way to hook this up please?

This is the alternator on my 200TDI, it was awkwardly wired to a switch so that I had to have the switch turned on in order for it to charge my battery.

I am re-wiring some stuff and want to correct this as I know it's wrong.

The larger wire on the upper right post connects to the starter and the W post on the upper left signals my tach……I know those are correct.

I am puzzled by the lower right wire on the upper most spade. I was under the impression that that was my charge light indicator, but it is currently spliced to not only the charge light, but also runs through a switch.

I don't think the alternator will charge my system with the wire simply disconnected, so I would appreciate some guidance on what connects to what.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes to the charge light. A switch would turn the alternator off.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 30th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes to the charge light. A switch would turn the alternator off.
So the upper most spade connection is charge light only, nothing else?

That is what I thought.

I don't understand why in the world it would of also been on a switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:49 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

probably because the PO didn't really understand how the exciter works.

Or he/she had connected it directly to 12V and it was causing the battery to drain overnight.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Alright, more questions.

My charge light is not working at all now. With the key switch on I have 12.5 volts at the big post, but nothing at the top spade terminal. With the truck running I have 12.5 volts at the big post and still nothing at the charge light. I don't think it's charging at all.......but this is all very weird because it's worked ok for two months on that switch I mentioned earlier as long as it was "on". The lower two spade terminals do have power.

Any advice as to what might be going on I'd be all ears.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 11:10 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Yes, it is not charging. I think the troubleshooting steps for the alternator part are pretty good in the manual. (Google it if you don't already have it)
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 4th, 2016, 01:14 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

You don't understand how the exciter works.

The spade terminal to the alternator doesn't have voltage unless 12v is fed into it. if connected to 12v, it will enable the alternator to charge the battery. What you call a "charge light" is not a charge light. It is the "i have ground at the alternator exciter terminal" light.

The original circuit should have the exciter connected to switched 12v. The best way to resolve this is to totally forget what the PO did and just wire it up correctly.

to reiterate: there is no such thing as a charge light: the lamp connected to the alternator exciter terminal should be off when running and on only when the engine is off but switched 12v is on.
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:09 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

^ what he said. When ignition is on but the engine is NOT running (alternator is not turning), 12v via ignition feeds through the 'charge' lamp and is grounded at that alternator blade. When the engine is running, that alternator blade is putting out 12v which effectively causes the 'charge' lamp to extinguish. If the 'charge' lamp comes on in the ignition run position AND stays on with engine running it can be assumed the alternator is dead. A quick voltage check, should be above static battery voltage, at the alternator output will confirm this.
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Good lord take that switch out of the circuit!!! Not sue if these alternators are built this way, but on some alternators if you disconnect the output while the engine is spinning you will instantaneously blow out all the diodes and fry the thing.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 4th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Ok, that makes sense.....I did not understand the 12V ignition/switch power through the charge light and to the terminal.

Thank you very much.
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:40 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
And I f the "not charging" light/bulb is dead the alternator will not charge. This happens rarely, but it happens. So as described above make sure the light comes on when the ignition switch is on Accessories and engine not running.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:51 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
And I f the "not charging" light/bulb is dead the alternator will not charge. This happens rarely, but it happens. So as described above make sure the light comes on when the ignition switch is on Accessories and engine not running.
Definitely...downside of using the tungsten filament in the bulb as part of the exciter connection to the alternator

If the bulb blows out, it's like a fuse has blown - no connection to the alternator, no battery charging
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
There is a resistor in parallel to the light so that the alternator can continue to function with a dead bulb.

The OP should make sure he carefully reviews the proper wiring schematic in order to get the system back together fully.

Old August 6th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

The problem I'm having is that there is no wiring schematic, I don't even know what alternator I have. This is a 200TDI in a IIA.

Connecting the smaller spade terminal to the ignition via the charge lamp is back feeding the ignition and not letting the truck shut down. The two lower spade terminals seem to be B+ and pretty much the same thing as the post on the right side in my picture.

I will add that the charge light works because if I try and jump 12v off one of the B+ terminals to the exciter terminal the light stays on 24/7.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
The problem I'm having is that there is no wiring schematic, I don't even know what alternator I have. This is a 200TDI in a IIA.

Connecting the smaller spade terminal to the ignition via the charge lamp is back feeding the ignition and not letting the truck shut down. The two lower spade terminals seem to be B+ and pretty much the same thing as the post on the right side in my picture.

I will add that the charge light works because if I try and jump 12v off one of the B+ terminals to the exciter terminal the light stays on 24/7.
The alternator is a normal one used on 2.25 petrols through to 200TDIs. The wiring is all the same. Look up the Defender wiring diagram and follow the 2.5TD or 200TDI schematic. It should be like that. What we have told you is correct.

If the circuit is back feeding the fuel solenoid, then perhaps it is fed from the wrong part of the ignition switch or you have the wrong ignition switch. The fuel solenoid should be fed from its own terminal on the switch which is isolated from the others.

Old August 6th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Is there a special type of ignition switch I need?

I have done everything you all have posted and found online without success.

My ignition switch has the following connections.

Battery in and battery out, both hot all the time. Single ignition terminal to starter when key is turned fully right in the "start" position.

Everything else is ACC power and hot as long as the key switch is in the on position.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

The more I think about it the more I am sure the ignition switch is wrong. The fuel solenoid does not have it's own terminal and is essentially run off of ACC power. The ignition switch only has a single isolated terminal for the starter and nothing else, likely for a gas engine.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:04 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
The more I think about it the more I am sure the ignition switch is wrong. The fuel solenoid does not have it's own terminal and is essentially run off of ACC power. The ignition switch only has a single isolated terminal for the starter and nothing else, likely for a gas engine.
afaik this arrangement is normal.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
afaik this arrangement is normal.
yep except there should be a position for glow plugs, either spring loaded like the old 2.5's or an actual position like the tdi's.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I got it all sorted.

I don't have a glow plug position on the ignition, so I just put it on a switch. I doubt I'll even need them much here in SC.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator