Alternator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Alternator

So the alternator in the truck crapped the bed. Found a bosch replacement marked as being for a 94. When it arrived I found that it has a pulley for a serpentine belt. Now, I can change pulleys over, but if I remember correctly the OBDII motors are reversed rotation from the OBDI motors. What difference, if any, will this make to the alternator? I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back, and I REALLY don't want to have to use a Marelli again.

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:47 PM
solihul
Rover

Bosch Alt Install guide and tips

Dude, I got this from the RN bbs. This guy has his stuff together.

Regards,

Solihull

Most will have seen my how-to page using a late model VW Bosch 120 A alternator. For those that haven't seen it, here is the new URL.

http://www.geocities.com/erdiaz.rm/Rover/bosch.html

I updated the page to correct some info and changed the URL directory.

Just yesterday on my B-day, I found another 120 A Bosch alternator at my local self serve auto salvage yard. Paid only $24 which included a $3 core charge. This alternator is a Bosch remanufactured unit. Both bearings were noisy and they must be replaced. Bosch chose to install cheap Chinese made PEER brand bearings. The seals hardend on the rear bearings, so I'm looking to get some quality name brand bearings.

Heres the URL with a how-to on opening the alternator. Covers the following: bearing replacement, voltage regulator, rectifier assembly, and slip rings.

http://www.geocities.com/erdiaz.rm/R...schrepair.html Cheers!
Eric D.
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ok, apparently thepartsbin.com has no idea what they're doing and have now sent me 2 alternators for a '94 disco (not the same as a '94 90). Anybody know where the best (cheapest) place to order a standard 100 amp alternator for a 94 90 is? My local rebuilder isn't too hot.

Thanks

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2004, 10:21 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Tony, looking at the Autozone and Advance Auto sites, it looks like they've got Worldwide and Duralast alternators for $200. I know that Advance carries Bosch but they don't list that they carry one for our trucks. Incidentally, the Boschusa.com website lists part number AL9346X for the 100 amp-er
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I put in a mean green alternator and I have been very happy (about 1 year ago or so) for my 94. If I were to do it again, I would. Why pay more for less? My alternator puts out about 200A or so.
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:22 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

FWIW, I've heard Bill Burke speak highly of the PPW. Can't think of a more qualified source. When I get around to upgrading I'd probably go PPW or Mean Green.
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

chris where did you get your mg alternator from? do you remeber how much?anybody know where i can pick up a mean green alternator for the 90?
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:34 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

I bought a MG for my D1 and one for a friends D90 from http://pmotorsports.com/wst_page6.html
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:59 AM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

Do the MG alternators that are being used on the Defenders have a cast front face or a machined aluminum front face? And are there seperate adaptor brackets ( two pcs of flat bar and two round spacers)? I installed mine about a year ago and nothing seemd to fit? Since then the bracket cracked and MG sent me a replacement which looks nothing like the original? It would be a huge help to know if anyone had a simple bolt in install and what the bracketry looks like and how it fit together?

I have used their products on another vehicle and it seems to be about the best on the market, but I haven't had much luck with it on my 95 D90..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator