Alternative to factory fuel filter... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST
Alternative to factory fuel filter...

So the dealership called me today to explain to me that the reason I couldn't get the fuel filter off of my truck was that the bolts were rusted all the way through. Apparently this is fairly common because they then tried to sell me "the kit" that fixes this for $285 which includes parts and labor.

I am not about to spend that kind of money to change a fuel filter, so here's the question. What are my options for replacing the filter? I had heard some talk about a BMW filter that will fit without the fittings, but I don't know the process. Are there any other ways that I can replace these fittings or bypass them cheaply?

One more thing. I asked them to look at two other things and give me an estimate for repairs. They called me exactly 23 minutes after I left to tell me that they looked at them and that the repairs were going to be more than I was willing to pay. Then they told me they were charging me $90 (a full hour of labor) for looking at them! Has the amount of minutes in an hour changed recently or am I missing something altogether?

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Oh, no, we bill only in multiples of one hour. A LR dealer charged me 90 dollars one time because I asked them which cat was rattling. 90 dollars later I found out it was the right one. Last time I asked a question.

Old March 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
I wonder if that's the same repair kit that DAP sells for $50?

There are a number of other options around in the aftermarket world, but you can't just use any filter. Make sure they have a high pressure rating. Carburetor style filters only need a working pressure of like 5-10psi, EFI filters need much much higher.

The Fram HPG-1 can handle 200psi and runs at $40 for the whole housing assembly. Not a bad price, considering how much of a POS the factory one is when you need to replace it and it's all siezed up solid.

However, you need to use better than average fittings to seal it up so that it doesn't leak. Not as easy as the old-days when you just used some clamps and fuel line. 40psi makes things interesting.
My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:00 AM
jim pendleton
I have those parts left from diesel work. If you want to try to fix it yourself I'll let you have the fittings you'll need. You pay shipping USPS

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:34 PM
1994 RRC SWB
I would bet this is their $285.00 kit.

We also make our own thats super simple.

If Pendy has the lines with the flex bit on them you can make a kit out of it just look at the links I posted for ideas.

Eric Riston
Commission-Based Retail Sales Representative
1-800-533-2210 ext 231
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.!/pages/Atl...31/75127965866

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, factory, fuel