Alt. output? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Alt. output?

I'm chasing down a volt drop issue and a problem I'm having where sometimes using the headlights shuts down the truck. Intermittant battery light and volt meter reading 11-12 volts

I'm getting 12.5 volts out of the altenator, 12 each on the batteries both when they are running and when they are not. I've checked almost all ground and the only thing left I have is disconnecting the aux headlight wiring harness to make sure that is not the problem (although the wires themselves look good and it is grounded. But my volt meter at the battery, is showing 12 volts when driving when it use to show 13+. Headlights on and I see a big volt drop under 12, about .5 and sometimes 11, while driving (high RPM).

Manual says alt. should be 14 +/- 0.2 volts. Is that correct and what folks have experience with? And I should see 13 at the battery or close, due to drops from connections?

I still need to test the batteries (two 6 month old odyssey's) outside of the truck. But I doubt they are the problem. I haven't seen any tach. issues which at first lead me to think it couldn't be the Alt. Anyone experience something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Manual says alt. should be 14 +/- 0.2 volts. Is that correct and what folks have experience with? And I should see 13 at the battery or close, due to drops from connections?
My experience has been that you will see around 14.1 to 14.4 volts from a healthy alternator, but I'm not a mechanic, so take it for what its worth... 12 volts at teh alternator is definatley low though, and not enough to charge a 12v battery. To actually charge a battery, the potential (voltage) has to be higher than the voltage of the battery you are charging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

13.8 to 14.2 would be an acceptable output from your alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
I'm chasing down a volt drop issue....I'm getting 12.5 volts out of the altenator
I'm having same situation, 11.7 volts output.
Could you solve your problem ? any suggestions ?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I ended up replacing my alt. with a spare but am still experiencing the voltage drop and truck shut off so it seems to be something else.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
I ended up replacing my alt. with a spare but am still experiencing the voltage drop and truck shut off so it seems to be something else.
Disconnect any accessories you don't need for the engine to run (i.e. pull fuses and/or relays) and see if the output of the alternator is correct (~14V as mentioned earlier). If not, then take it to Advanced Auto Parts (or similar) and have them test it (for free). Also make sure your ground is good. The alternator (and a lot of other bits) can not function properly if the ground is bad/not that great.
Also, make sure you belt has the right tension so that the pulley does not split on it.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Ground seems to be good.
Same low voltage with everything off.
Diodes ? Regulator ?
Damned... I hate electrical troubles
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:13 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
Ground seems to be good.
Same low voltage with everything off.
Diodes ? Regulator ?
Damned... I hate electrical troubles
I'd guess regulator (I'd expect a bigger drop if a diode dies, obviously, you could test them! ;-) ), but on my 1995 D90 alternator, diodes and regulator are in one piece, so.....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

A quick test you may want to perform. Start the truck and disconnect the battery. If the truck keeps running your alternator is still putting out something. A reading that low may just be the battery and the alternator is completely dead. From there, make sure there is a positive running to the battery in order to generate a charge. If this gets cut somehow, the alternator won't put out anything. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
one other thing to check is the chassis to engine block ground. I had one break on my J**P and you wouldn't believe the impact it has on the charging system.
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Thank you guys

I'll try those tests this week end.

So far I'm checking output on the cigare lighter 2 or 3 times
a day with a DMM and i'm getting beetween 11.6 and 12.1 volts @ 1500 rpm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions