Alpine Stereo - Defender 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

Alpine Stereo - Defender 90

Can any of the Alpine stereo heads w/ CD be used in the vertical position in a Defender 90? or do you have to use the CD changer that sits horizontal? thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think almost all the newer ones will work as they grab the CD rather then let it sit and spin. I haven't heard of anyone with a problem so far.
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:22 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
i have had an alpine head unit in my 90 since this past fall with no problems ::knock on wood::.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

Same here... new Alpine and it works fine. Even with all the gunk that seems to fall in the CD slot..
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

I have had a Alpine CDA-98xx Series head unit in my 90 for nearly a year and have had no problems with it. The few times I have used a CD in it it works just fine. I almost never use CDs since I got the Alpine KCA-420i iPod interface. iPods are so much more convenient than disks.
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

i plan on getting the ipod interface too - where did you mount yours?? also, is the display readable if the top is off??
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

the interface is mounted in the box under the pasenger seat and the cord with the dock connector runs into my Tuffy Center Console. With the top off the display is hard to read.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

My installer told me that the CD should work for a while, but it is not designed for a vertical position and he wouldn't count on it working for too long. I have a SW and find it nearly impossible to read the display during the day, I can only imagine how hard it would be to read in ST. You'll have this problem with most new head units these days. I had a Kenwood, that was hard to read too.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

thx for the input - i think ill keep it in the dash!
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

My two cents on the Alpine Ipod interface:

There is a cheaper and better alternative to buying Alpine's >$100 ipod interface while still being able to use your MP3 player.
If you have one of the new alpine decks, you can get a cable (I think its called the Alpine V-link?) that plugs into the back of the deck where the designed video sound input goes... you will then have the RCA cables which act as an input to the deck. If you get a RCA - headphone jack converter from Radio Shack, then you can just plug it into your MP3 and play it through the AUX source selection. I think I made it sound more complicated than it really is... It is very simple and save you some money.
It will be just like playing through your ipod with the headphones, but through your car speakers. You'll have to control your song selections, etc. though your iPod which will have to be connected to the RCA cable or head phone extension cord, which can get in the way sometimes.
If you are thinking of hooking up your iPod through the Alpine Interface so that you can access all your songs through the stereo deck, do your research first. There were problems last fall with the Alpine 04 stereos, but they may be fixed with the new 05's. I was moving forward with that idea until i read how slow and tedious the process was just to play a song you wanted to hear on your iPod, but its a little more sanitary of an installation.
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:58 AM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

from what i read, the '05's have been improved....also, the interface charges the ipod while it plays....
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:49 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I have mine set up like Jay H described, works great plus I made a mount which is attached to the underside of the AC. It is very accessible and easy to read without having to look to far down, unlike the Alpine control where you would have to look at the head unit to control the iPod. If I need to charge while I drive, the cigarette lighter is right there I can just plug it in while it's playing. Very clean looking and very functional.
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:27 PM
kenny kustom
ken bryant
none

number one... i am a car audio installer. your cd player will work fine in that posistion.
number 2 ... the alpine i pod interface sucks. way to hard to use, you completly control the ipod from the deck. the rca dongle is much better. ( im also an alpine dealer ) if anyone has any audio questions just ask. ive been doing this for about 10 years now.
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

thx for the input - i agree that having done the research there's no reason to use the ipod interface - ive already been using the rca plug thru the AUX of the head.....for me the real issue is whether to put the head back in the middle console (vertical) vs leaving it in the dash - id rather it be in the console but not sure ill ever be able to read the display during the day!
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:39 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

if you do this, get yourself an ipod dock for your PC or Mac. The dock will allow you to use the low voltage out put through the bottom mutli pin connection. The volume is then only controlled through the stereo output, note the click wheel on the ipod. The RCA adatpter with a headphone 1/8 jack will plug into the back of the dock output, and your cig lighter charger can plug in also. The dock has a nice rubber bottom that sits well between the cup holder without slipping and sliding around, or you could build a mount like mentioned above.

BTW, any pictures of the mount to the ac controls as mentioned above ??

JS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, defender 90, stereo