Almost had electical fire..now what? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Almost had electical fire..now what?

I have a 97sw. A few days ago it started acting strange. My inside lights would swich on and off with the brake pedal. Just as I pulled in my garage it started acting even stranger. I turned the key off but the 90 stayed on. The brake lights also stayed on. Then white smoke started pouring out of the instrument panel in the sw where the rear wiper/reAr window defogger. I quicky pulled the power to the truck and pulled the instrament panel...there is a small off white box inside the panel that was melting and has some flames on it..the connectors are toast!! Had to snipp all the wires and remove the box. Got very!!!! Lucky on this one..
What the he'll is this and what do you guys think could have caused it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Box

No one knows what this box is that went to toast...I removed it and can still start the 90 but the brake lights are stuck on

Follow-up Post:

One other thing. I hooked up the battary again and the brake lights are on without hiring the pedal. Also when I press the pedal the warning lights come on and the auto trans lights.

Follow-up Post:

Sorry for all the typos.... Using my iPhone
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its the multi function box or "courtesy computer" which controls the rear wiper delay and assorted other stuff. Should be easy to replace if you salvage the harness and splice it back in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks....any ideas to what could have caused it and why I'm having electrical issues now with the brake lights ect..

Follow-up Post:

Anyone have one for a 97...I would need the plugs also since they melted..Thanks again for the help..the thing actually lit on fire!
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't know a lot about the 97 set up - I assume it had a short, went bad, or otherwise failed. Multi function switches don't exactly have the same rep as oil lines...

Anyhow, that box controls a variety of things, and might share a ground with other switches. Just need to find a diagram and suss it out, or maybe a 97 guru will pipe up.

Old December 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks Jim ...my harness is melted so not sure what the hell I'm going to do. I can't drive it because my brake litghs are stuck on..
Any help would be really appreciated...does anyone know where I could find one of these with the harness as well
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you unplug the brake light switch on the pedal does it make teh brake lights go out? There are a limited number of wires that control the brake lights

Frankly, this one is beyond what I have encountered. If it gets beyond what you can do, it is time to call in the big guns and get frank (www.roverrepairs.com who I think you have met) to work on it.
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Frank is great. I have used him a few times. I was hoping to try to fix this myself...if I can't that is where it is going. Does anyone even know where I can get this part??

Follow-up Post:

I also can't seem to find a list of the items this computer controls.
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think RDS HAS A NEW Harness if you need one
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Do you think I will need to replace the whole harness? Also does anyone know that this computers part number is?

Thanks again for all the help
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Does it have a part number on it? IIRC someone else on here was looking for one. Alas, in my stash I do not [think] I have one.
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I can't see anything on it...it is toast. I will check again tomorrow.
Hopefully I can find one that was cut out with the harness ends. I can then just splice it in and be done with it...
I have to find the part number first.

Follow-up Post:

Based on the wiring dia. Someone posted in a previous post it looks like I need:
multi function ecu d130.
Can anyone help me confirm this and where to find it
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Might want to find out why the brake light s are still coming on before you start splicing.

I'd look at all the wiring in the rear of the tub and at the back lights. I've had several '97's with some really weird shit going on like massive radio interference with the brake lights, reverse lights that come on with the radio, shorted trailer wiring that burned wires all the way up to the dash, reverse light that burned wires all the way to the dash. All the results of shorted wires in the rear of tub, sometimes the trailer pigtail, sometimes just grommets that have fallen off and wires chaffed through.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for all the help... I will let you know how I make out!
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I will check out the electrical manuals I have when I get back in town.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire