Alloy version of ANR1534 or ANR4583PM? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Alloy version of ANR1534 or ANR4583PM?

Would anyone be interested in an aluminum alloy version of the 1-ton (ANR1534) Steel Wheel or the Wolf Steel Wheel (ANR4583PM)? Either this is a really stupid idea, or a a really brilliant one. I can't tell yet so I'm looking to gauge interest and get feedback. The idea I had was to replicate these wheels in terms of external appearance but to make them out of aluminum alloy which is lighter and stronger than steel and doesn't rust. The construction would obviously be different but the appearance the same. Thoughts and comments appreciated!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2015, 01:09 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I like the idea but the key thing would be price point.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I'm no overlander by any stretch, but it seems to me that one of the reasons why ANR1534s as well as Wolf wheels are selected is so that they can be pounded and welded while in remote locations.

Unless they could some be offered as a cheaper alternative (which I doubt would ever be the case).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Would not most people that wanted alloys just purchase the alloys that the army currently uses? Seeing as these are tested and proven to be extremely strong.

A low volume production of an alloy wheel would be an insane cost.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I'm no overlander by any stretch, but it seems to me that one of the reasons why ANR1534s as well as Wolf wheels are selected is so that they can be pounded and welded while in remote locations.

Unless they could some be offered as a cheaper alternative (which I doubt would ever be the case).
Certainly true, but many of the people who do not ever see themselves pounding out a dented rim while in remote locations are also far too weak to lift the steel ANR1534s and may like a lighter option such as this. Alloy, while lighter, is far more brittle than steel as Jackie pointed out. In addition to some other concerns, I'd be concerned that if I messed up one of these five years down the road and needed to replace just one but only the stock steel version could be sourced.
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:29 PM
BigWalker
Pete Ricci
1965 Series 109 V8 Automatic

Registry
I would be interested in the ANR1534 depending on offset and price
I just finished powder coating a set of Wolf Steel Wheel ANR4583PM put would have preferred the others
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Wouldn't it have to be a considerably thicker design if it were alloy? I'd be interested in seeing a mockup, but I can't imagine the design staying the same with how thick they'd have to be
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Off to a good start here I see.

The intent would not be to offer a cheaper alternative. Those already exist. The intend would be to retain the classic timeless design but using more state of the art technology to make them lighter and rust resistant. The pros and cons can be debated but a high quality alloy wheel is stronger and lighter than a steel equivalent. I've wheeled with my Alloy Tornados since I got the truck 7 years ago without issues and I'm pretty sure Bill Burke hasn't had any complaints.

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2015 10:51 AM ------

Good point. The thickness increase would only happen on the inside of the wheel so as to remain the exterior profile and appearance. This would probably be easier to on the 1-ton wheel than the Wolf. In theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Wouldn't it have to be a considerably thicker design if it were alloy? I'd be interested in seeing a mockup, but I can't imagine the design staying the same with how thick they'd have to be
-
-
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:51 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Id be interested in a pair of Anr1534s depending on price.. be nice to have a lighter version to mount on the hood and rear door.
Old January 20th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Not necessarily. We'll see. I'm looking into it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
A low volume production of an alloy wheel would be an insane cost.
-
-
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:01 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

I also am not sure how you could design it to keep the original appearance and strength. There is a compromise with the aluminum wheel somewhere. Chances are it will either be strength, or cost.

Also, make sure you research the DOT legality of such wheels. Of course you could sell them "for off road use only", but no matter what a set of road wheels has a significantly higher liability than some fancy light guards. Your insurance company might stop this project before it ever gets off the ground.

Good thinking out of the box though
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:05 PM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
I think its definitely worth exploring. I'd have been interested as i've been trying to source ANR1534s for literally 2 years and just FINALLY found a set. I feel like they were the last five on earth - I had a tough time finding them. I like the idea of keeping the timeless design, but also wondering how thick they would be on the rim edge and if it would even be noticeable. I like the out of the box thinking
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm not overly concerned about the design challenge. Thats the fun part. There's only one open area on the 1-ton wheel is are those thin narrow slots. Plenty of non-visible areas for the "meat" to hide behind. I would challenge the statement of cost/strength tradeoffs. The Tornado design is way more open than the steel wheel so it shouldn't be hard to meet or exceed its characteristics. The legality is of higher concern and I would certainly want to work with the manufacturer and DOT to ensure a safe product should this become reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I also am not sure how you could design it to keep the original appearance and strength. There is a compromise with the aluminum wheel somewhere. Chances are it will either be strength, or cost.

Also, make sure you research the DOT legality of such wheels. Of course you could sell them "for off road use only", but no matter what a set of road wheels has a significantly higher liability than some fancy light guards. Your insurance company might stop this project before it ever gets off the ground.

Good thinking out of the box though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	111641   Click image for larger version

Name:	anr1534pm.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	111642  

-
-
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thats exactly what it is at this stage. An exploration and a discussion. I bought 3 sets of 1-ton wheels before I settled on a set and I settled not because they were in good shape but because I got tired of the process of finding a decent set. No reason the rim edge could be same as Tornado design....in theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
I think its definitely worth exploring. I'd have been interested as i've been trying to source ANR1534s for literally 2 years and just FINALLY found a set. I feel like they were the last five on earth - I had a tough time finding them. I like the idea of keeping the timeless design, but also wondering how thick they would be on the rim edge and if it would even be noticeable. I like the out of the box thinking
-
-
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I think this is a fascinating idea. Alloy replicas of steel wheels is something that has been done elsewhere.

I had ANR1534 on my D1 and sold them when I decided to go back to one set of wheels.

My only caveat would be to remind yourself of the reaction people had here to Himalaya's thread on importing nato green wolf wheels at a much higher price than the stock/RN/ABP wolf wheel. The premise was that these were heavier duty wheels v stock. I'm assuming he never went ahead with the plan based on people's reaction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	111644  

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:23 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I'd be interested in an ANR1534 reproduction, particularly if they are forged versus cast. There are all kinds of benefits to using an alloy wheel, but I just don't care for the looks of those that are currently available.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Off to a good start here I see.

The intend would be to retain the classic timeless design but using more state of the art technology to make them lighter and rust resistant.

Sounds like something Icon would produce (not saying that's good or bad), but somebody did mention weight savings, which could be of some benefit.

I mean nobody really cares how much a Defender Rim/Tire combo weighs.....that is until they've tried to throw it up in a roof rack or manhandle it into place by yourself......then I'd give anything for that damn thing to weigh 20lbs less.

Personally, I'd rather a company focus on some other un-met needs in terms of fabricating new advancements in aluminum. Like your headlamp covers. Maybe some better SW door handles out of aluminum!
That's just me and it sounds like you're looking for feedback from a wide range of users so sorry if this derails the topic.
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:39 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

One recommendation would be to look at producing 17 inch rims that look like standard rover rims. I need to run 17s on my project due to brake clearance and I would love to be able to run standard-looking rims. Tire availability in larger sizes is starting to get difficult in the 16 inch diameter rim, 17s are seeing growing market share.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:45 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Instead of looking at the face of the wheel to consider the engineering, think about the cross section. It will be difficult to build the same level of strength into the ANR design using aluminum without dramatically increasing the thickness of the center, which will affect either the backspacing ("meat" on the back side of the wheel) or the appearance ("meat" on the front side)

But I'm no engineer so have at it.

Keep in mind you can buy new ANR1534s for about $280 each plus shipping from the UK. (Genuine LR part)

------ Follow up post added January 20th, 2015 02:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
One recommendation would be to look at producing 17 inch rims that look like standard rover rims. I need to run 17s on my project due to brake clearance and I would love to be able to run standard-looking rims. Tire availability in larger sizes is starting to get difficult in the 16 inch diameter rim, 17s are seeing growing market share.
Now THIS is a great idea.

a 17" ANR1534...
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I
Keep in mind you can buy new ANR1534s for about $280 each plus shipping from the UK. (Genuine LR part)
If you can, they're NOS, the ANR1534 is no longer available. The last time we could get them in 2012 their cost was slightly over $300 a piece direct from LR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alloy