Allmakes/shitpart belt shredded after 8mo/5k miles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Allmakes/shitpart belt shredded after 8mo/5k miles

So, yeah I know they call it "shitpart" for a reason and I'm well informed about that.
I just figured it can't hurt for simple parts like belts etc.
Well, thankfully I was replacing my alternator and noticed this absolutely decrepid drive belt. I had replaced this along with my timing belt in May or June (thankfully I had the good sense to use a genuine kit for the timing belt).
So, the lesson has been now etched in my head. Maybe I'd use a Britpart mirror, lense or something non-imperative to operation, but nothing that would cause you to be stranded like a belt or filter.

+/- $18 for a Britpart drive belt vs. $36 for genuine......but a tow or downtime considered. It's a no-brainer.
Just sayin folks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	113185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 06:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
So, yeah I know they call it "shitpart" for a reason and I'm well informed about that.
Well, thankfully I was replacing my alternator and noticed this absolutely decrepid drive belt. I had replaced this along with my timing belt in May or June (thankfully I had the good sense to use a genuine kit for the timing belt).
So, the lesson has been now etched in my head. Maybe I'd use a Britpart mirror, lense or something non-imperative to operation, but nothing that would cause you to be stranded like a belt or filter.

+/- $18 for a Britpart drive belt vs. $36 for genuine......but a tow or downtime considered. It's a no-brainer.
Just sayin folks!!
Throw that old one in the center console as a spare once you replace it...at least you'll have an emergency one (even if it is a piece of shite). That's what I did, and I went with the Dayco belt so we'll see how it holds up.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Throw that old one in the center console as a spare once you replace it...at least you'll have an emergency one (even if it is a piece of shite). That's what I did, and I went with the Dayco belt so we'll see how it holds up.
Exactly! In fact I used my spare (new Britpart) that I keep next to the battery when I installed, but when I get it into the garage for some repairs next month, I'm sticking a genuine belt on there for sure.
...and Jason, your wisdom is not lost on me (strongly encouraging me to use the genuine kit for the timing belt) because I'd definitely be sweating it if I had a Britpart timing belt hiding in that case!!!!! Thanks again for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 06:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Exactly! In fact I used my spare (new Britpart) that I keep next to the battery when I installed, but when I get it into the garage for some repairs next month, I'm sticking a genuine belt on ther for sure.
...and Jason, your wisdom is not lost on me (strongly encouraging me to use the genuine kit for the timing belt) because I'd definitely be sweating it if I had a Britpart timing belt hiding in that case!!!!! Thanks again for that.
Damn right . The rule of thumb I live by is if the job is complex or time consuming (i.e. timing belt)...use genuine and sleep better at night. If it's a 15-30minute fix, use whatever part you want - but if you cheap out, keep a spare on hand!

The one good thing is that main alternator belt is a pretty darn easy swap as long as you have a long wrench to leverage the tensioner pulley for fitting.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 8th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Sorry to hear that A, your account will soon be credited for it. That scares me as I put one on my truck as well and the backing started delamming the other day.

I don't recall it being britpart though, I think it was allmakes.
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Order two belts.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Sorry to hear that A, your account will soon be credited for it. That scares me as I put one on my truck as well and the backing started delamming the other day.

'preciate that (but I do realize that RN just offers Britpart as an affordable alternative to some very pricey OEM parts, so Im not blaming RN)
Just be selective about what you cut corners on is the underlying lesson here.

PS, I'm finally getting that big order together I was talking about months ago! Just needed some garage space to free up at my Uncles shop.
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:04 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Sorry to hear that A, your account will soon be credited for it. That scares me as I put one on my truck as well and the backing started delamming the other day. I don't recall it being britpart though, I think it was allmakes.
And here is one of the reasons I've been sticking to genuine for the last handful of years, esp with engine stuff.
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I tried to stick to genuine for the most part on all important items, but in this case we didn't have any in stock, and I wanted to get one on the engine!

Timing kit was for sure genuine
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

It's service like this from Zack / RN that is spot-on. Not a required action by any means (as we all know the inherent issues that can happen with non-genuine parts), but an extremely solid move by a good liaison and contributor to the Rover community.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 8th, 2015, 07:12 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Surely britpart does not manufacture their own belt... Any idea who the manufacturer is..??
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Surely britpart does not manufacture their own belt... Any idea who the manufacturer is..??
Mine reads "Allmakes" but the packaging was Britpart and of course was made in China

Actually counting this as a blessing. An easy way to learn an important lesson.
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I want to say the Allmakes was Dayco, but I used the Britpart one...and it was not Dayco. I'll try to look and see next time I'm at the truck.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 8th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
That was going to be my question. As shitty as Britpart typically is, I think I recall seeing name-brand belts the few times I've used them. I have an Allmakes V-belt here in front of me that is made by Dayco, and the Bearmach timing belt kit below that uses a Dayco belt as well.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old February 8th, 2015, 07:18 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

That belt looks sooooo much older than 8 months.. Forget about the separation... Those dry rot cracks make it look like its a couple of years old... You sure you didn't change it on one of your many other trucks..and not this one..??..
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
That belt looks sooooo much older than 8 months.. Forget about the separation... Those dry rot cracks make it look like its a couple of years old... You sure you didn't change it on one of your many other trucks..and not this one..??..
Positive.
I remember specifically ordering two belts (bc we weren't sure which one we needed) and ordered the cheap ones because I had to order multiples.
The belt I replaced was genuine and was chirping at the time.
As Jason will attest, I did my timing belt in April or May of 2014 and that's when I replaced the drive belt as well.

But yeah, I agree, that belt looks 5 years old. That's why I was posting it. No belt should look like that after a year, let alone 8 months.
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
There are many reasons to go quality/genuine on parts. But it behouves everyone to identify parts that can be sourced locally, and the serpentine is definitely one of them. even if you decide to replace with genuine, know the specs (pk7????) so in a pinch, you can hit a napa and get a replacement. I keep my parts compatibility matrix in my owners manual in the console.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I recently fitted a bleeder hose on my 300tdi last week that was new but a couple years old and leaked like a sieve out of the box/bag. Picked up another one (although I thought it wasn't allmakes when I got the new one) but it seems fine. Bad day in bangledash I suppose. But seriously, with all the new stuff I have put on my 90 like this and the fuel filter housing from bearmach I'm pretty pissed off at discount suppliers. Knock on wood Britpart is the only one that hasn't screwed me. Which seems odd I know.
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Just sayin folks!!
Allmakes is typically way better than Britpart. Allmakes is the parent company/started the Terra Firma line for their accessories.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 8th, 2015, 08:48 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Genuine parts have much higher tolerances than aftermarket, and there's a cost to that. (It's not uncommon for some parts to have actually have been manufactured as genuine, by a contractor, but they didn't meet spec, and were refused. They are then sold by the manufacturer at a lesser cost...to that guy that sells them as aftermarket).

I look at it this way, if it's a part that moves, or can wear out, I won't touch Britpart.

Any savings in the cost of the part, will cost more eventually.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part