Allmakes/shitpart belt shredded after 8mo/5k miles - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I didn't know that Doug.
Scott may be onto something too. Could have been a rejected batch that made it back into circulation through another channel somehow. It also could have sat in a warehouse in some dark corner of the world for 10 years and was then repackaged in a Britpart sleeve.
The box/sleeve was definitely Britpart but the belt definitely read "Allmakes".

Anyway, I not overly concerned and Zack didn't even need to back it up (but that was really solid of him to do) but it's just one of those experiences worth learning from and passing on to others.
Makes me put a lot more thought into what type of oil filter I'm using next time. That's all I need is for a filter element to break apart clogging the turbo line or something!

IDK, I'm usually all about saving some money, but now I'm definitely going to ask the question "what could happen if this part fails big?".
I have to order some outrigger replacements (as a precaution) and will probably go Britpart because it's just dumb iron that needs to be constantly coated anyway regardless of the quality of steel, and I'm fine with the spare Britpart U-joints I keep under my seat as well. Good for cheap parts when you're in a bind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Hard to decide when to go genuine or aftermarket, generally takes negative experience to make an educated decision.

I also want to stress the fact that even if we're selling aftermarket, we don't want it to be junk if possible. That doesn't help us or you. We do generally try to avoid britpart when possible
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:42 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Allmakes rubber products are crap. I got door seals in once and they were cracked and the metal stripe inside was rusted.

With that being said I've been on a part number research craze and found that http://www.brit-car.co.uk is a real great site. It will tell you if Allmakes or Britpart or any other aftermarket part is OEM or at least a pattern of the genuine part.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 02:29 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I second that, I had an allmakes serpentine belt shred after about a year and a half of use. No pulleys out of alignment. Everything is kosher. From now on I'll either stick with Gates, Dayco or Conti.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Smile

There are many things in life were it's best to genuine:
Pop tarts
Band aids
Critical auto parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:57 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I just got a timing kit with a dayco belt, says made in Italy. Now thinking I should get a genuine one just for piece of mind.
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I just got a timing kit with a dayco belt, says made in Italy. Now thinking I should get a genuine one just for piece of mind.

at least the belt. for the extra $50 or so dollars (difference in the belt only), that's worth the peace of mind.
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:53 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

called RN and have the genuine belt coming. $60 difference must count for something
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
called RN and have the genuine belt coming. $60 difference must count for something
It wouldn't have been a $60 difference had you called/emailed me!
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
The belts are now Dayco where applicable. Slight price increase but worth it IMO!

Going to remove my Tdi belt when I have some time, I can already tell it's dying.
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Keep in mind that these belts are constantly hardening as time passes. I'm a firm believer that buying a belt from source that sells a lot of that belt is important. There is a reason the belt change interval is 50k or 5 years which ever comes first. @ 60 mos the belt will be cracking/dry rotting due to the rubber's continued hardening/curing.

You could buy a belt direct from a LR dealership but if its been on a shelf in a distribution warehouse for years
you are playing roulette.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part