Allisport model question. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2012, 06:11 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Allisport model question.

I'm getting ready to put in an Allisport radiator and will also change the oil coolant lines at the same time. Does anyone here have this setup ?

I would like some help, I have an early NAS 94 D90 with LT77 ( I think S). I have A/C but am removing it, as I never use it. On the Allisport ebay store they talk of a model with oil cooler lines for the 1995 NAS Defender, is the same model required for the 1994 D90 with the manual tranny ?

I will get the one with the shroud and fans. I'm replacing the Kenlowe fan and the stupid relay switch that keeps failing every time it rains (or so it seems). I also need to get the X-Eng Aluminium in-hose adaptors and install a standard thermostatic fan controller. I was rather disappointed with Kenlowe, I would be at my 3rd relay control module and 6th relay in about 2 years. Considering the price, I was expecting more reliable products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2012, 06:23 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

That is about as reliable as you will get with electric fans. Not trying to be negative but you'll do well to save the standard engine driven fan if you want reliability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
It was overheating in traffic with the standard VC fan. I also wanted something I could stop for wading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you carefully remove the A/C you should be able to sell it here where it is hotter. Always a market for them used here in the States
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
A/C

I did read the thread on A/C removal. I'm going to find a shop to empty it first and then take it out. Not sure what part of the dash console to remove, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'm going to hang on to it until I'm really sure I don't want it any more.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger
It was overheating in traffic with the standard VC fan. I also wanted something I could stop for wading.
If everything is working properly it should not overheat especially in Canada
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Yep ... should not overheat ... head gasket time!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
it gets pretty hot here in Montreal in the summer. Forecasts are in the mid 80's this week. But stuck in traffic on black pavement, it's a lot warmer. At low revs, bumper to bumper, moving a few inches at a time it does overheat.

The only thing not changed is the coolant pump, but I have one on standby in my basement. I decided to put it on a new engine I will get installed in the fall, likely a 4.2 pulled from a RR and rebuilt.
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

80's ? It's over a hundred here and it hasn't rained since February. If you don't need your AC it's not hot there...period...and definitely not hot enough to overheat your truck.

I have no electric fans... Just the original factory standard fan, Horrendous traffic....all the while running the A/C.

Not to mention on my frequent drive to Jerusalem from Tel aviv, a 2500 ft gain / 25k in elevation.

Thankfully I have no problems.

Im sorry to say.....Check your truck.
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
Yes, I will check all the cooling related systems. I suspect the electronic control of the fan is the real culprit. Thank you
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Marc, on your old white '94 it was the fan clutch that was going.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
it gets pretty hot here in Montreal in the summer. Forecasts are in the mid 80's this week. But stuck in traffic on black pavement, it's a lot warmer. At low revs, bumper to bumper, moving a few inches at a time it does overheat.

The only thing not changed is the coolant pump, but I have one on standby in my basement. I decided to put it on a new engine I will get installed in the fall, likely a 4.2 pulled from a RR and rebuilt.
Drove the 90 in the 105*+ heat wave in DC few weeks back...didn't budge an inch. If the stat and system are doing their job you shouldn't overheat at all. Something else is going on.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
While I can understand the thought behind the wading bit, (although that thought is somewhat dated back to really bad electrics and if you are in that deep I'd suggest other issues that might warrant attention before the ignition gets wet.).

I'd check the rest of the system out. The standard cooling capacity is well within requirements and should not overheat with the standard fan period unless there is something else wrong. Not saying that you shouldn't use the electric fans if thats what blows your skirt up but in doing so you are masking an issue not curing it. (sorry, suggested skirt as it is much easier to lift up when wading )

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
my old D90

How do you know that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Marc, on your old white '94 it was the fan clutch that was going.
Where you the person who bought it from me ?

What happend to it, I loved that truck !

------ Follow up post added July 21st, 2012 11:29 AM ------

I'm still looking to get the Allisport, I think it would be a nice addition to my urrent truck. Do I need the model with one or two oil cooling lines ? Not sure...

I have an older/early NAS D90 (1994) with the LT77S and 3.9L V8.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:38 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I was the other guy with Brian (who bought it) who met you in Burlington. He still has it and lives in southern new Hampshire. It's a great truck.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
It's a great truck.
Thank you, yes it was a great truck for me as well. I really regretted ever selling it.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger

Registry
Put the VC fan back in this morning, no more overheating driving around town. So it's the Kenlowe control module that is fried, again... this would be my third. I will put in a X-Fan module and a regular thermostatic switch, nut I,ll keep my VC fan close by on long distance travels (like Argentina or perhaps a trip in central America with the group from the No-Limits X, which seems really cool).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod