Allisport Intercooler 300Tdi w/ A/C Question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 13th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
On my 200TDI, with carefully set and measured fueling, no difference whatsoever. In other words, peak EGTs were the same before and after with the same fueling settings. I suspect you need to have the boost a fair bit over stock to get any gains. The stock intercooler does everything that can be done at stock boost levels.
Intercooler wouldn't necessarily affect egts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
Intercooler wouldn't necessarily affect egts...
If a larger one is needed, IAT will drop and EGT will drop when running at peak boost and full throttle. If the peak (sustained full throttle) EGTs do not drop, then the larger intercooler was not needed. The whole point of putting in a larger intercooler is to reduce peak IAT and thus allow more fueling without increasing peak EGTs.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 14th, 2016, 10:36 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I have the double core and ac, ran home at 70mph 105F for 120 miles today. Engine temps 180-190 (82C thermostat). I'll snap some pics tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2016, 01:49 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Thanks Chris.
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:38 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Allisport Intercooler 300Tdi w/ A/C Question

Ok here you go. This was not a direct swap. You have to cut out the rad/IC tray to allow this thing to fit. I was lazy which means it took longer and I didn't drain the coolant and remove the rad hoses. I had to notch it while it was in the truck.

Top down view showing how much it sticks out.

Here is where I trimmed the fan shroud to allow for the wider IC. Still flush against the radiator. I figured that at freeway speeds and when under heavy boost i'd have enough RAM effect to be OK and when going slow off road I wouldn't need the turbo as much.

Here's how the IC and the AC condenser (I think that's what's up front) meet up. They are flush.

Hope it helps!!

Chris

Side bar: for the experts, better to have the fan shroud behind the IC or should I completely trim it away and seal up the gap for the radiator? I've read somewhere that the fan shroud is restrictive for air flow through the IC.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, ac, tdi