Allisport Intercooler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Allisport Intercooler

Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a new intercooler for my 2.8 TGV engine. The one it has is a standard 300Tdi intercooler, quite old, doens't look good from the outside: flatttened/deformed aluminum. It was a used intercooler when installed on the 2.8 engine.

Since I will be travelling to England soon I was considering eventually buying an Alisport uprated intercooler but the standard width one, not the full width one since I will be installing AC in my Defender later this year and I do nto want have space problems when fitting the AC condenser in the front of the truck.
I am not planning to tweak the 2.8 engine right now but I am tempted to slightly tweak the fuel pump and turbo boost in the future.

a) Do you think the Allisport standard width intercooler will do better than the standard 300Tdi intercooler or is the performance going to be just the same?

b) if I install a standard width Alisport intercooler, will I only notice a difference in case I tweak the fuel pump and turbo boost or willjust changing the intercooler make a difference?

c) if I decide to go the slight tweaking route, how difficult and expensive is it to install a EGT measuring gauge?

I believe Pendy mentioned it is OK to tweak a 2.8 engine as long as you measure the EGT and keep it beneath some number which i cannot remeber. What is a decent bhp figure I can expect to achieve from my all standard 2.8 engine by tweaking it and not risking blowing it up?

Opinions are appreciated.

Regards,
SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The stage one from Allisport is a good comprimise and still fits without any real extra work. But it is still a comprimise.

Gauge would be a good backup.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Pendy,

Thanks for your comment.
Is it expensive to purchase an EGT (everything, probe, gauge, etc)?
What about installation, is it complicated? I imagine the sensor is installed in te exhaust? Is this correct?
Sorry if asking silly questions, I am just guessing.

Thanks
Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
sommer_90
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90

EGT guage and probe are very affordable, egauges.com

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?...&Series=Vision

A nice easy probe location is into the EGR plate on the exhaust manifold. Just pull the two bolts drill hole and weld the bung onto it.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I need to install an EGT too before I start tweaking. I thought it needed to be installed before the turbo inlet to get a good reading? I'm looking forward to hearing people spell out this installation.

Pendy,
I'm kicking myself hard for not lettting you install the EGT when you asked me about it and had the engine out. I was new to diesels and didn't know better. uhhh. send any of your conversion customers my way if they pass on the EGT and aren't experienced in diesels. I'll set them straight.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommer_90
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?...&Series=Vision

A nice easy probe location is into the EGR plate on the exhaust manifold. Just pull the two bolts drill hole and weld the bung onto it.

The 2.8l is a little more difficult to deal with onthe probe.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions