all lights turn on when I hit the break?! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

all lights turn on when I hit the break?!

Well, no idea on this one. But heres the background. Checked and replaced all bulbs, bulb holders for tail lights, (looked good) replaced one. So no idea. At one point it blew a fuse and half my side lamps went out (easy 5 watt fuse fix) now lights all work. but when I have just my "parking lights on" when I hit the brake they get brighter... And my high brake light is on all the time now..
I'm sure there is a ground issue some where, idk, any idea where to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

If it were a ground issue you wouldn't have excess current, which is the result of brighter lamps, but a decrease. Your lights would dim as the result of poor ground.

Did you replace all the bulbs with the same wattage rating as the OEM bulbs?

If you replace a 5 watt bulb with a 15 watt bulb you may experience an increase in illumination, but only if the wire & the fuse can carry the current to support the 15 watt bulb.

Check that the ratings on both bulbs and the fuse are correct just to be sure.
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

if you mean all your brake lights are on.... nothing else it should just be the brake light switch behind the brake servo. have you checked this?
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

poo

Beware of autozone. I went back in and they said they were upgrading computer systems or something, and it listed the wrong bulbs. So DJ you were mostly right, they bulb was a higher wattage, so it would light up the 90 when I'd hit my brakes.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Nice. That'll be an easy fix.

Glad you got that part solved.
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Sounds like you had an 1156 single element bulb in an 1157 (two element bulb) socket. A lot of the 1157 sockets will recieve an 1156 bulb. Sorry if it sounds obsurd but I have seen it on several vehicles and it is easy to do. Glad you got it fixed tho.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights