Air suspension question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Air suspension question

I have a customer from ATL who I got a 95 SWB RRC for his beach house. He is storing it at the airport so that he will have a vehicle when he flies into the beach to get him from the airport to his boat. My question is that it still has the stock air suspension, I am going to install a battery cut off switch under the hood, is there anything else I should do? Should I have him turn off the air suspension as well or will the battery cut off be sufficient?
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2014, 12:07 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I don't understand the nature of the question. Storage should not affect the EAS in any way. If it is pumped up, it should stay pumped up even with no battery.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It does not run while the truck is turned off. If there is a leak, it just drops down until you start it up.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Gotcha, just wanted to see if there was something that I could do to prolong life of sir suspension.
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Brian i would install the battery cut off in the cab (center console, or under the seat) its easier to get to and he doesn't have to pop the hood, etc. or you can put a push/pull cable arrangement in to operate it remotely as well.
Plus you can pull the key and take it with you for security in either location of course.
just thoughts.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Will it be parked outside? A solar powered trickle charger might not be a bad idea. A RRC shouldn't have much of a quiescent draw unless there is a problem, so I imagine a small solar panel would do the trick.

The best thing to do for that air suspension, other than converting it to coils, would be to replace the air springs if they are original. If they are old and dry rotted they will leak causing excessive strain on the compressor from it constantly running.

Will a RRC not self level (only lower, not rise) with the key off? Newer Land Rovers will do that if there is a leak.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions