Air Suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Air Suspension

I am currently trying to purchase a D90 to replace my Discovery II. I am toying with various ideas regarding what sort of suspension I would like to fit and came across an interesting article of a guy in the UK who fitted Air bags/suspension to his D90. Upon looking at his site (http://www.air-suspension.co.uk/) I sort of became interested if anyone had done it stateside or whether this was just a crazy idea and not practical. In addition I looked on Air Ride Technologies site and found another Defender which used their products ( http://www.ridetech.com/projectview....2505&SUBSYS=CC ). Keeping all of this in mind I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of such a setup and whether it is practical or maybe just hasn't been of interest to anyone. Any comments or input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I too have thought about adding this, although to a Disco not to a Defender. I had a 98 RR with EAS and one possible down side is that when the temperature varies from the last time you adjusted your ride height, you will be either shorter (cold) or taller (hot). Maybe not a big deal when you're in Atlanta, but in winter elsewhere you would be pumping up the system (with reserve only for maybe 1-2 raise cycles) in the morning and then coming out to a lifted truck at lunch. The RR computer automatically releases pressure from heating over the course of the day, but it would drop over night if the temp got very cold. So the down side is that you have to be the computer constantly.

Other than that, it seems like a simpler system than the Range Rover, althought you'd think by now that if it were the cat's meow more people would have this type of system on totally custom rigs in places like Moab.

Dave
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I have seen similar systems on purpose built rock crawlers that people use only for that but you are right, I have certainly not seen it on any rovers thats for sure, though I looked at a 97 wagon a year ago from CA that had air bags in its rear so maybe it just hasn't caught on. Especially since most D90 owners want a minimal amount of electronics. If anyone else cares to weigh in please do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Related note, I was looking at the catalog for Atlantic British, and I was reminded by their D-90 aibag/lift system, but I think it was only for towing applications. I know this is off-mark, but has anyone used that with success? I know the towing abilities of the D-90 are not so great...or even close, but I was thinking that might be a way to at least pop the rear end up a bit.

Any reports?
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:25 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

If the air bags are anything like the ones on the rr don't get them. The computer controlled off road stuff is great but the reliability $$$$$$. I don't have any other experience with airbags but in my experience simpler is better. Then again other air ride aside from the rr might be great I don't know going up and down with the touch of a button is really cool, very impressive to onlookers.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:41 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Way I figured was much the same, sounds to me it is more a trick for shows and all that sort of thing. Although the airbags used look to be firestone units used on buses and semi trucks. The air ride technologies system only uses electric solenoids to activate the unit but otherwise is electric free. The reason I was interested in all is the idea you have best of both worlds handling wise but in all honesty it was more of a whim than anything.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:16 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Someone up in BC (british columbia) had put airbags (from a semi also if I remember) on his bastard 4x4 (I think its supposed to be a 'zuk). Looked pretty slick, quite trick and very basic. Saw the writeup a number of years ago now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions