Air suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Air suspension

I know that there are many people that do not like air suspension - but I have had it on RR and Disco's and loved it. Does anyone know of anyone that has done an air suspension on a D90?
Besides the complexity that most complain about, is there any downside when off roading? My RR's always got me to where I wanted to go with it, but I know the D90 (which I have owned before, so not completely new to it) is another notch or two up in ability.
The reason I am interested is my wife is vertically challenged, and she has loved our RR ability to "kneel" when parking. This has also made some of the crazy low parking garages in Atlanta passable too (not to mention our own garage).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I don't think the front will work since the shock towers are forward of the spring perches instead of inside the spring. If you can work out that little snag you are golden.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Brian,
yes you can do it, i've seen fully auto & manual control airbag systems on 90's & 110's, there are a couple of trophy vehicles with air suspension knocking about.
At billing this year there was a company with a demo 110 on air bags, not sure of their name but from the stickers on the vehicle I think it was TRIPNET.

regards

Gren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	billing 072.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	47250   Click image for larger version

Name:	billing 073.jpg
Views:	2422
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	47251  

Click image for larger version

Name:	billing 074.jpg
Views:	3515
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	47252  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

You're entering a world of pain. Get some of those folding side steps and call it done.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
That does not help the TON of garage and clearance problems around here (including my own garage). I would need more of a ladder, rather than a step....lol...She bruised herself pretty good getting in today.

World of pain due to adaptation? or world of pain because it is air suspension? I work on the air electronics for a living, so that does not bother me....serious adaptation (which I admit to have not study yet) does.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Try searching for users of 110'S in Iceland. I saw a few converted to air and was told they use a US modified system. Good luck.
Reasons that they use it is they can throw a reindeer in the back, or for heavily loaded search and rescue.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Yep its tripnet.... Here in israel.

The air bags are standard parts off of heavy commercial trucks, much more robust than LR civi SUVs...a very slick set up.

If I remember correctly they swap and install very quickly.

They must work well...he guides a lot of Jordan desert, ME to Europe overland trips.
His show truck is a user.

Hope it helps.
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

My D110 double cab has an Air Ride system. Works fine on and off road, but it is not a rockcrawler.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
What suspension setup do you have now? I'm running 2" OME with 33"+ tires and my kids get in and out of the truck no problem. But I also have a pair of sliders with tree guards that makes a nice step. And I have no problem getting into my garage at home.

I've seen some stocker NAS rigs in town that have the OEM sidesteps and they don't look any more difficult to get into then any other SUV.

IDK, if your wife is getting bruised getting into your truck then maybe selling it and getting a bone stock Jeep 4dr might be a good move. They are low - althought I think getting in and out of one is harder than a 90.

Serious question - what are you owning a 90 for? around town car, off road rig, do you have a ST -- and would enjoy the open top?
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Owned a long line of LR, including a previous 90ST. I am wanting a modern version (that can not be imported) of the D90. Sort of my own flavor. I go trail running once a year or so in Colorado, but honestly, I have driven some rental SUV on the same trails and they are not that bad. I explore vs crawl for the sake of crawling. Looking for Ghost Towns, mines and such. Maybe a little gold panning.
The other 50 weeks of the year, it is my equivalent of a G Wagen.... I like it more than a G. My business is working on the electronics of european cars... so a bit of a street queen, showing of my work - the rest is just for fun.

I used to have the ARB lockers, rock crawled, etc etc.... but now just a more passive version of that... NO JEEPS!!!
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
How is she trying to get in? From the passenger side tell her to open the door, with her right hand grab the roll bar (above the window if she can) put her left hand on the seat bottom, throw a foot up and pop in.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
currently this thing is lifted, and I need to get some lift out of it. Her HEAD is as high as the seat cushion!!!!
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Oh ok. Well in that case: YOU open the passenger door, YOU bend down, SHE clibms on your back, YOU walk over to the truck, turn around with your back/your wife's back facing the seat, She grabs the top of the roll back and scoots her way in, YOU close the door. Problem solved.
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
4 words for you - step stool, chivalry, winner

LOL
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
That might work....lol

I already shower her with Chivalry - she is a woman that likes to do it herself though.... Well looking at the lift kit later to day and seeing if I can tone it down 2" - that way I can get her in the Garage!
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
I was looking at this too. In socal lots of garages are low. Plus mine barely fits in my garage. Then again the check will probably be large.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:34 AM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

I've been thinking about this as well lately. Has anyone considered the LR3/4 Air Struts instead of the RRC air system? If there's a way to mount them it would seem a better system??!!

Thoughts?
Old May 2nd, 2016, 02:48 AM
Omero
Omar Alomar
2000 D110 CSW 6.2 LS (was TD5)

Registry
Make sure to connect air lines of both bellows of each axle together, so when one compresses it pushes the air to the other to expand it, this will give you good crawling articulation with comfort. IIRC, RR's and LR's work that way.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:33 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
4 words for you - step stool, chivalry, winner

LOL
I keep a folding step stool in the back for mommies and grandmas.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I've been thinking about this as well lately. Has anyone considered the LR3/4 Air Struts instead of the RRC air system? If there's a way to mount them it would seem a better system??!!

Thoughts?
I thought about it briefly. Not hard enough to try see what the differences would be in mounting, or if they had the same basic min/max lengths. My immediate thought was that it's probably fairly tightly integrated into the vehicle and you'd have to figure out how to make the suspension ECU happy to live on it's own and use of of the fancy diagnostic tools (if it would even work that way), or reverse engineer the canbus messages. All fun stuff, but no time to try it now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions