Air purging jacks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Air purging jacks

Another tip, back a couple weeks someone asked about "purging" air from bottle jacks. I found an old instruction book and they said that after filling up the jack (lay the jack on it's side with the fill hole up, fill to 1/4" below hole) open the pressure valve (as if you are lowering the truck) and pump the handle 15-20 times rapidly. It worked for my floor jack that had run low. If nothing more, worth a try.

Best regards,

Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
1995 SW #487/500
I accidentially drained all the oil out of my bottel jack, i have tried to bleed it with no luck. Bleeding the clutch on a drill rig is easier than dealing with this thing... I have no clue how to bring this thing back to life
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE
I have the same problem with one of mine. I accidentally unscrewed the pressure valve too much and it came off, letting air into the innards. I'll have to give this a try.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM
jim pendleton
Pull the valve out and submerge in fluid. Pull the jackupwards manually and overfill with fluid. Let it sit with the valve closed and the bleeder open and facing upwards for a period of time. Later slowly bring the jack to its rest position letting the fluid spill from the bleeder.

Worked for me a couple times. Dilute a little brake fluid in it to lossen the seals it it might help.

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions