air meter voltage adjustment? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

air meter voltage adjustment?

I fired up my new 4.6 friday evening(spent the rest of the night in a drunken stupor celebrating). Had to go away for the weekend but now I'm back and starting to tune. I installed the 14cux tornado eprom and there are a few changes in tuning. Timing is now set at 8-12 degrees BTDC (vaccuum disconnected). The next thing they recommended was checking voltage at air meter. With negative probe on multimeter on red/black wire, and positive on blue/red wire, check with ignition on but engine not running. Normal adjustment range is 0.0-3.6 volts. It should read between .9 and 1.3 volts. Mine read 1.8. Here's my dilema: Instructions from chip supplier describe adjustment of voltage with a few turns of a screw located in a boss on the top front of the meter. No screw found there. There is a possibilty at the rear corner of the meter, but if that is the location I will have to drill out a plug- no screw showing.

Has anyone adjusted voltage at air meter?

thanks for any help

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air meter.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	3464  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I do not believe that the airflow meter is adjustable on the NAS trucks. I think it might be on trucks in other markets that do not have the emissions compliance issues that we have. I have seen those covers drilled out and I think that there is a screw under there, however, I do not believe that it is an active feature in our market and that it actually adjusts anything.
Rob
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmmmm..... just checked RPI's pages on the topic, they say that an engine with a catalytic convertor that they recommend 1.8volts actually.

http://www.rpiv8.com/carbs-2.htm

Now, I know it doesn't answer the question HOW to adjust, but it also makes it a moot point

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, thanks a bunch guys!!!!
Thanks to you guys I can move on to base idle adjustment. Do you think it would be prudent after I have it running as well as I can to take it to a shop and have them check it?
Old July 24th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The ECU basically takes care of the idle speed on it's own actually. The stepper motor regulates it by allowing more air flow to raise it up. Sometimes you need to manually lower it if it's too high and the stepper is already fully closed... but thats rare. I wouldn't worry too much about going to a shop if everything is running smoothly, not that a second opinion is a bad thing if you're nervous about it. If you DO, then make sure it's one of the many Rover shops out there.

Drive it easy, keep an eye on the temp and oil pressure, check the fluids every day before you drive it and just let things settle into place. Try not to drive along at a steady RPM for too long of a stretch either. Also, after a few days of driving you need to go back and re-torque the header bolts and the intake manifold.... they can possibly loosen up after the engine heat cycles a few times. Then, change the oil and filter before you hit 500 miles to get out the last of the assembly lube and anything else left over from the build process that might be suspended in the oil.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions