Air Lockers / Internet Bead Locks / Etc - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

Air Lockers / Internet Bead Locks / Etc

More idiotic questions from your soon-to-be D90 owner. While I dont intend to do any serious off-roading, we do plan on taking the truck on the soft sand beaches of Nantucket and on the eastern end of long island. When Ive taken my Cayenne or a rented Jeep on the beach, I typically bring the tire psi down to about 15 or so, stay in the tracks, etc. My question is, for the D90, am I safe to deflate the tires to the 12-15psi range? Would I benefit from the internal bead locks that I see on many websites? How about airlockers? Are these needed/suggested for my purposes. 10% of the time will be on the beach or packed dirt roads and the rest of the time on regular roads. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2007, 11:07 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Do nothing to the truck but watch it slowly try to rot from rusting in front of your eyes while subjecting it to strong salt air. No, but seriously, it will deal with the type of driving you are planning as well as any stock jeep without any mods in my opinion. cool truck, Get one!
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have taken my stock alloys down to 12 PSI several times, and wheeled them pretty hard without any issues. Air lockers would be a lot of fun, but they would be quite expensive to only use on the beach.

Will you take the truck into the woods?

I would recommend that you get a winch and a pullpal instead. A pullpal is an anchor like device that you use in soft soil or sand as a recovery point.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You need nothing like that for the beach, air down and go. The beaches of cape cod are full of Acura MDX s and such.
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I've run by mistake as low as 10 psi on stock alloys while playing in the rocks at Rausch. Last time I was on the beach didn't lower the psi and ran fine.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I agree with Scott. Buy the winch and a bumper to hold it, a PullPal for an anchor.

Then whether you wheel it or not you can get it out. Or you can get someone else out.
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions