Air intake System - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Air intake System

For those of you that might be interested, Rover Accessories told me today that they are contemplating making on of these (http://www.roveraccessories.com/airforce1.htm) for the Defender. What are your thoughts? If the interest is high enough they will probably do it in the next month or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It all depends on where the air intake ends up. The current hot-air intake system is great for deep water, but you're sucking in a lot of hot air. I'd be interested if it shortens the intake hose length and gets air from someplace cooler..... like maybe an airbox under the drivers side fender vent.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:56 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

$300 for a K&N filter and some tubing? Crazy!

Typical claims of any K&N setup: "up to" 15HP, "should" improve economy. If they have the data to backup real claims then show it. Of course, these aren't real claims; they can't even be easily verified.

In the end we all know the cons of K&N so I say forget it. Just fix your chip if you're running rich and leave things alone. You know there is some science behind the stock snorkel - it's not as "stupid" as people think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Great way to suck up water on a river crossing and hydrolock your motor. I would not touch something like that with a 10 foot pole. IMOHO but what the hell do I know.
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Personally, I was thinking that something with a detachable snorkle would be nice, and a straighter run to the vent hole. Best of both worlds. Probably have to make it myself, no big deal really.

-Hans

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Detachable snorkel is what I've done. I can disconnect the snorkel from the fender-mounted air filter box, and replace the stock trumpet. Shorter path than stock, and cooler air. Because the trumpet is pointing backwards, maybe flow is impeded somewhat being in an aerodynamic "shadow," but not that I notice.
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:58 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Can we see some pics?
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Here's what it looks like with the snorkel attached. I can loosen the clamps holding the snorkel to my roll cage, and release the clips on the filter box, to slide the whole snorkel up and out of the way. Then I can just clip a stock trumpet onto the filter box where the snorkel used to be. It's the stock filter box, only slightly modified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snorkel sm.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	4854  
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Trevor, that looks great!
Have you moved your MAF over to the front of your plenum?

Thanks,
Rod
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Rod, yes, my setup is similar to one John Lee describes on his Expedition Exchange website.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I am in the process of doing something like this actually. First step is to replace the factory molded hose with a flex-hose. I used one bought at Autozone and it seems to work fine, though I'd be interested in knowing about sources for beefier flex-hose (it's a little thin-walled, but for $20 what do you expect?). Autozone has some tubing and adapters for ricers but they happen to be the diameter we need.
I haven't figured out what to do about an airbox yet. The external box is interesting, but I'd rather fab something that goes up under the fender and will relocate the MAF sensor when I figure that out.
I'm going to make an injection-molded plenum to mount on the underside of the wing vent with a fitting for a flex air hose to connect to my as-yet-to-be-determined airbox. Then, a removable shnorkel attachment can be bolted to the top air vent (and directed up the roll cage similar to the photo above), or left off for daily driving.
That's my plan anyway.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Tarr
Rod, yes, my setup is similar to one John Lee describes on his Expedition Exchange website.
Thanks, Trevor. I need to have a look at that.

Jason, re: that stiffer hose.
I put a pond in a couple summers ago. The water was pumped through this beefy stuff that seems like just what a guy needs. I got it at a pump supply store. I have a length of it laying around, I'll play with it and see how it looks- maybe post a picture.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
Great way to suck up water on a river crossing and hydrolock your motor. I would not touch something like that with a 10 foot pole. IMOHO but what the hell do I know.

No sh*t! But since I have moved to the high country, I haven't made many H2O crossings. And when I do they don't cover my wheels. Obviously, you wouldn't go forging across a river with this and if the replacement is simple enough then one could replace it with the stock setup when they expect to be forging H2O on a trip. I understand that these can be hokey but I just thought that some of you would be interested to know that someone was about to make one.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You guys with V8's and snorkels kill me.

If you want the snorkel off for daily driving I would:

- use the side mount setup as in Tdi's.
- disconnect the tube inside the engine bay

That way you always have your snorkel on (for your poseur value) and you avoid using the wingtop vent - it's a bitch for collecting water, snow and ice.

I would still use the stock air filter and box - just remove trumpet and connect to box when you're in snorkel mode.

Again, there is science behind the trumpet so I would use it when in non-snorkel mode.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Again, there is science behind the trumpet so I would use it when in non-snorkel mode.
I was thinking about the silly trumpet, and the only reason I can see it being there is to keep noise down, what value does it have as far as air flow?
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Oh, it's not really the trumpet that I mind. Supposedly it actually helps accellerate airflow when using a cannister style filter like that. My big gripe really is the location, length of the ducting, and lack of underhood heat ventilation.

I just want it to draw in cooler air for the engine and reduce the length of the flowpath.

-Hans

Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I read up on this years ago and I wish I kept the article. It was for an old Corvette.

Basically, it allows for greater (higher velocity) airflow at higher revs. The smaller diameter and rounded edge pulls air in faster and in a more controlled pattern.

There was also an article on Rovers done which verified better performance with the stock setup than without it.

I always thought that the cannister was tuned to be beneficial at a specific flow range - at higher revs. Maybe it is a design element useful in this sort of setup. I mean, there are plenty of cars not using a trumpet and still performing well. Even in the Corvette world, I used to have an old one that didn't have a trumpet and still put out 6000 rpms with no problem.

I can't say my RR runs crappy without it as I haven't tried it.

Bottom line: it is not a pain to keep it so why not? Stop overengineering everything!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake