air intake hose?? / source for cheap switches - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
NASD90
T B
None any more

air intake hose?? / source for cheap switches

I tried searching for this topic, but I don't even know what the thing is called. It's the 3-4" braided hose on the 3.9 engine that goes to the air intake (not raised, snorkel...the regular one).

the steel bracket has rusted, and the hose has come off the block. I'm ordering stainless ties, but what is this hose "called"? has anyone ordered a replacement that doesn't look like it's from the 1930s? As in, silicone, rubber, whatever?

ALSO. this place is in GB, and I haven't received mine, but this place has inexpensive LR switches (for aux lights, etc). They're like $6 plus shipping, which is considerably less than the $25-30 places on these shores want. Best part, they're blank, so you don't have a dome light indicator for your lockers or something;

4x4PartsMaster.com

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I don't remember what its called but it goes between the plenum and the mass airflow sensor. I ordered a replacement about a year ago from Rovers North and it was very expensive, like $300. Mine had cracked and was causing the check engine light to come on. If I had to do it again, I would take it to an auto parts store and see if they have any flexible hoses of the same diameter. As long as you can bend it around the brake servo you should be fine.
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:07 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Their is some very good silicon hose available as close as your local private aviation airport. I used some 3" diameter silicon hose on a Porsche 911 that I was restoring a few years ago - the factory hoses were $$$$$ so I went over to the parts counter at Epps Aviation and bought some hose there - it was orange and cost about $15 a foot at the timebut it was a whole bunch less expensive than the factory equivalent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mine just has a big hose clamp at each end. All I would be concerned with is if there are any holes in the tube and make sure it is snug at both ends. Don't hesitate to trim a little off if necessary--it is not rocket science and it's length is definetly not critical. I would even consider painting the outside of it with some sort of high temperature epoxy or sealant if there any little holes. Don't waste money replacing it.
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

95 style is plastic.

Does not look old like the 94 style.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:59 AM
NASD90
T B
None any more

dubious...thanks guys, I'll get some 3" hose online and post the results. cheers!
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Make sure it is held up! If it sags too low the exhaust will burn a hole in the hose!
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM
NASD90
T B
None any more

Anyone have a source for this hose? I've been looking, most silicone hose is fiberglass reinforced, and thus is pretty rigid....I figured I could use a totally flexible one...am I wron? ordering it in rigid form makes for a lot more angle measurements...
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I just got some for my snorke at a local hose shop--was $6.50/ft and is temp resis. to about 300 degrees (mine is blue). It is flexible. There was a link to a good hose shop online under one of the newer snorkel threads--
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:25 AM
NASD90
T B
None any more

I believe this is what Chris is referring to, if anyone cares about this besides me:

http://www.ducting.com/Material.html
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, that is it. Another helpful page on the same site is:
http://www.ducting.com/Garage_Exhaust.html
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Don't get this stuff

http://www.ducting.com/CW325.html

Looks just like the stuff I melted!
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
NASD90
T B
None any more

That says to +325 F.... would the one that goes to +550 F be enough? that's the highest rating I've found so far.

Something tells me any one of these will be better (performance wise) than the stock braided hose... is this correct?
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The Exhaust gets real hot! maybe over 600*F at the cats. But the hose I bought slowly started sagging until it was only a few inches from hitting the headder then it melted. What you need to make sure is that it is stiff, so it stays out of harms way.

This stuff looks like it is real good but I bet it's $$$

http://www.ducting.com/Bendaway_Plus.html

Follow-up Post:

Just checked it's $15 a foot but you would never have to replace it!
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
NASD90
T B
None any more

the minimum length seems to be 15'...anyone else want to split it?
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

This is the stuff I used to connect the heat exchangers to the bodywork on my Porsche 911 years ago - http://www.ducting.com/GS.html -its a double thickness wire reinforced silicon hose - good for low positive and low negative pressures.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake, switch