Air filters and a bad fuel tank valve thingy! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Air filters and a bad fuel tank valve thingy!

I have a 95 D-90 and I live in Dallas. Sadly I do not get off road with my D-90 as much as I would like. As a result I am looking for a way to get some quicker response to my truck for in town driving. I do not want to alter the truck or spend a bunch of money to do this so I am looking at air filters (K&N or something) to try and get better performance out of the truck. Anyone have any ideas if this will help? Is this an affordable direction to even try?

Also the rubber cap sorrounding my fuel line is cracked and I get a constant gas smell from my back end of my truck. I know I am probably leaking a bit of fuel and also loosing some fuel to evaporation. I have tried to shut it down with silicone but the problem only got better for a week or two. I know the only way to truly fix this is probably to drop the fuel tank and replace it however that sure seems like a lot of work to fix something so small. Any better ideas?

Thanks
RickM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Rick,

K&N Makes a filter for the D-90. Got one in my truck. Search the forum for the exhaust mods. I got a Northwest Rover Performance full exhaust from the manifold back. Nice mellow sound and a little better performance. A lot of folks are running flowmasters at a fraction of the cost. There are chips but they run 400-500 dollars and the jury is still out.

The best thing I ever did was to de-carbonze my engine at the dealer. You can use sea-foam as well and I assume there are other products out there.

As far as dollars spent for performance gained? You could go nuts for very little improvement. I would say say your money and start saving for a 4.6.

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, fuel tank