Air Filter Box Upgrade- Help!! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Thats the same reason I want to run a different air intake also, getting COLD air as opposed to the overly hot under-hood air that we have currently. I'm not too concerned about how much the scoop works as a forced air intake, I just don't want to be sucking down hot air anymore. I was even thinking about using a combo cold air intake box to feed both the engine intake and an additional oil cooler, but that would make for some interesting and long oil lines and I'll probably put some fenderside louvers or something for an oil cooler.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Art, why do you always like to stir shit up
I give up, I'm done with this forum.

Later,

Art
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil
I give up, I'm done with this forum.

Later,

Art
Oh come on Art, don't do that. It's only the Internet, you know I love you and I never meant to hurt your feelings

Listen, not everyone sees the world like you, you like skinny tires but some people don't. If you think SG is a shitty company some people think not. If the dude wants a fast D90 what's the big deal. At least he's doing something different.

Come on, give me a good reply not that reply you just gave me.

Hope to see you tomorrow at the Solihull meeting. Now should I bring my Ninja sword just incase you are in an attack mode
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:06 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well...

1. wanting to drive 100 mph in a 90 is plain stupid! 120 mph?! That's just absurd - as are so many auto conversions in the Middle East.

2. supercharger: there's nothing wrong with turbo charging a Tdi for added, NEEDED performance. Supercharging is just a different way of getting there. And that doesn't mean a need to go 100!

3. cold air: why not fit an intercooler? Assuming there's space, that's the way to go I would think.
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Having finally resolved all my issues with my TVR 5.0 upgrade (and although it is unlikely that I will drive 120 except on lonely desert blacktop), the invigorating sports car response, the effortlessness of pushing through headwinds at speed and the joy of climbing long summits in the flow of ordinary traffic are just too pleasurable to ever want to give back. Further, I don't believe I'll ever have to mod the exhaust or air intake systems for more power -- this engine gives me a little bit more than I could ever really need. I highly recommend the TVR to anyone that can get their hands on one.

PS: I hold the fastest time in the two most recent speed events in the NVTR, running on stock engines (3.9 and4.2), and believe the Defender is a truly capable and non-dangerous high-speed off roader when in good hands.

PPS: Go to this link: http://www.teamsaluki.com/ and watch the video to see what a properly trimmed Defender is capable of.

DW
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What I don't get out of all this is the TD5 is just as capeable if not more of getting up to 120. Why all the effort. A chip, propane, big intercooler, and uprated turbo would eat a 3.9 for breakfast, and get 25mpg while doing it. Man the 3.9 blows, wait, did I say that outloud?

edit: Hey Art, I'm pretty sure most TDi engines come with a turbo

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:20 AM
DBZ2009
Z
ex-1994 D90/ 2 j**ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
John P I bet has been up to 120 in a D90 . . . I had mine up to 110, and that is a stock 3.9

damn computer, the governor kicks in at 75. im no speed demon, but it sucks when you've got a semi on your tail and you can't go any faster. Won't a disco chip solve this?
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCIDd90
damn computer, the governor kicks in at 75. im no speed demon, but it sucks when you've got a semi on your tail and you can't go any faster. Won't a disco chip solve this?
Yep, ask Ron but I think a 95 cold start eprom will fix it.
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
What I don't get out of all this is the TD5 is just as capeable if not more of getting up to 120. Why all the effort. A chip, propane, big intercooler, and uprated turbo would eat a 3.9 for breakfast, and get 25mpg while doing it. Man the 3.9 blows, wait, did I say that outloud?
I'd prefer a TDI myself too, but since they came with the 3.9's and a TDI swap can be a bit dollar hungry I have limited options. But I'm just looking for a bit more passing power and some extra mpg's, 80-85mph is plenty fast for me.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:56 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I'm saving my extra dollar bills (and tens and twenties) for a TD myself. Low torque and really bad mileage bug me. If a TD5 will pull me along effortlessly at 75-80 uphill then I'd be completely satisfied.

An intercooler would be a pretty darn expensive thing to do just to get cooler air & I'm not sure how much benefit they'd be in a normally aspirated engine (the reason you see them with turbos is that the compression of the air *really* heats it up beyond underhood temp - not to mention being routed through that hot metal housing in close proximity to the exhaust). Those wing vents are just waiting to draw in nice, cold ambient air.

If fording rivers wasn't a problem I'd say that just routing the air intake inlet up by the headlights would greatly solve the air temperature problem.
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:45 PM
DBZ2009
Z
ex-1994 D90/ 2 j**ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Yep, ask Ron but I think a 95 cold start eprom will fix it.
mike,

any idea of what those things run used?

thanks

Joe
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:30 AM
alkhalifa
Nasser Al-khalifa
2001 Defender 90

This is where I found the air scoop:

http://www.exroad.de/shop/product_in...roducts_id=111

You might find other places that might be closer to you.

Artm...when you say that many auto conversions in the Middle East are absurd, did you see them to make that judgement or are you just being naive or "racist"? It would be a joke if you are saying this without even visiting the area.....People who make assumptions not based on facts are stupid.....So the only way you can make a comment like that you should experience the area first hand.

Buckon37s.....True you can get a TD5 to beat a 3.9 but you can get a 3.9 to beat a TD5, I always wanted to get a V8 D90. Its the engine that I would prefer to use, plus I really like the roar of the V8.
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCIDd90
mike,

any idea of what those things run used?

thanks

Joe
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2994

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkhalifa
plus I really like the roar of the V8.
Honestly, that would be my biggest reason to keep the V8!
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I deleted a few posts from this thread due to unnecessary content.
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:27 AM
jabber
m j

[QUOTE=jaherring]
Those wing vents are just waiting to draw in nice, cold ambient air.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out RN, they've got 'em (part # RNA1008 & RNA1008R)
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

My solution is something similar to John Lee's setup (http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D90snorkel/), except instead of the Mantec snorkel, I'm running Home Depot ABS drain-pipe with a centrifugal filter cap. But I also relocated my stock filter box to the wingtop and fitted in inline with the snorkel pipe. It's a little more vulnerable out there, but I retain stock filtration, with all the benefits of shorter cooler routing.
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:39 AM
alkhalifa
Nasser Al-khalifa
2001 Defender 90

Thanks Trevor that was very helpful.....
Old October 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Personally I rate oiled filters (K&N), i've spent a number of weeks in the Sahara and the filter was flowing just fine at the end.
A couple of times back in Blighty the K&N has saved the engine in a water hydraulicing situation because the filter didn't collapse like paper ones do and consequently didn't allow enough water into the combustion chambers all at once to cause a hydraulic lock, bent con rods, and associated unpleasantness. I've seen a number of paper elements collapse, allow a larger quantity of water into the engine and POP, engine rebuild time. that's in petrol and diesel engined LR's too.
K&Ns therefore get my vote.
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Trevor,

Do you have any photos of your external solution? Sounds like the best solution I've read so far...

What's a centrifugal filter cap and where does one get one?

THanks,

Doug
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:11 PM
alkhalifa
Nasser Al-khalifa
2001 Defender 90

Mike,

Do you have a picture of how it is setup?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions