Air Conditioning Vent Repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 4th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Air Conditioning Vent Repair

Greetings all,

More than once I have gone to adjust an air conditioning vent to find that the louvers have sunk into the frame. The culprit: the frame has cracked at the hole in the vent frame where the louvers pivot. (Click on the pictures to see a larger version.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Broken.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	58525
Oh! The pain!

Twice I've repaired broken vents in the following manner, and none of the repairs has failed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Repair.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	58526

Upper left: the tools. A cutting mat, some plastic cement (I used "Plasti-Zap"), a thin sheet of styrene from the hobby shop (0.015 in.), a metal straightedge, scissors, matte knife, pencil. Not pictured, a single hole punch.

Upper right: Make some reinforcements to buttress the hole after it is glued. Use the ruler to measure for the styrene insert. Cut a strip of the correct width, but longer than necessary. Set it in position, mark and trim with the matte knife and scissors for a clean fit.

Lower left: Mark for the holes. Use the hole punch to make holes for the pivot points on the vent.

Lower right: Repair the broken piece of the vent frame by gluing the broken parts together, making sure not to leave a build-up of cement on the outside surface of the frame. Next, glue the reinforcement piece in place on the outside surface of the vent frame (where it won't show when installed), making sure to use adequate cement around the hole. I added a second reinforcement to the other side, even though it wasn't broken, as a preventative measure.

After allowing adequate time for the cement to dry, snap the louvers into into the frame, and snap the frame into its hole in the dash.

Enjoy the satisfaction of another nearly impossible job well done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Gabedefender
Gabe salazar
1994 defender 90

Looks like a fun project! My vents are jacket too... I'll try and post after.
Thanks Captain!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Good luck. Look forward to hearing about your results.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions